Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.93750°N / 112.9539°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10810 ft / 3295 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Saddle Mountain anchors the southern end of the Lemhi Range of eastern Idaho, bringing the range to an abrupt end at its south end. The peak sits 6000 feet above the Little Lost River Valley near the local Howe, Idaho. Although not the highest in the range, it is one of the most prominent and visible from the populated area of the Snake River Valley of eastern Idaho. On clear days, it is easily visible from Pocatello and Idaho Falls. The peak also dominates the skyline above the Idaho National Laboratory (INL, formerly the INEL and INEEL). The top offers great views of the Snake River Plain, Lost River Range, and the Beaverhead Mountains.

Getting There

Traffic on the mountain is light because of rough roads on the approach.

Most routes to the top are class 2-3.

From the east, access is through a network of high-clearance roads off of ID-28. Be sure to not enter the INL, however. Access is through Eightmile Canyon Road, marked BLM access inside the INL (be sure to not wander from the road until you reach the mountain), or any other 2-track roads along the base of the range.

Western access is through Howe, Idaho, and the southern canyons near Berenice, just northeast of Howe.


Red Tape

No permits are required. On the eastern approach, stay out of the INL. (There are prominently signed access roads to Cedar and Deer Canyons off ID-28, but they cross INL land. I'm assuming you can take these 2-wheel tracks to the base, but I have verified anything with the INL yet. These roads should cut approach drive time down a bit.)

When To Climb

May to October provides snow-free routes to the top.

Mountain Conditions

Challis Salmon National Forest
RR2 Box 600
Salmon, ID 83467
(208) 756-5100

There is also a weather cam at the INL usually pointed at Jumpoff Peak near Howe. (Camera details.)


Summit Views




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Snake River PlainMountains & Rocks
 
Lemhi RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
Idaho Top 100Mountains & Rocks