Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.98783°N / 115.2919°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7906 ft / 2410 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Windtower from the...
Windtower is easily scrambled in a half day. The name is a local one for this offically unnamed peak that is actually a lower buttress of the 4 summits of Mount Lougheed. Its proximity to Canmore makes it a good training hike. The trail head is about a 25 minute drive from downtown Canmore by following the Spray lakes Road. You will see all levels of hikers on the normal route (4-5 hours round trip). This is a very scenic scramble/hike. With outstanding views of the backside of the Three Sisters to the north, Lady Macdonald, the town of Canmore, Grotto Mtn. Mount Lougheed directly behind as you face Canmore and the Spray Lakes behind you to the west. The route for this summit is not found in Alan Kane’s Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies which is still a worthwhile purchase.

Getting There

WindtowerRimwall from Windtower
Head out of Canmore on the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Lakes road past the Grassi Lakes and the Goat Creek day use parking. Continue on the unpaved Spray lakes road for about 22km. 4-5km passed the dam you will see a sign for Spurling Creek. A small parking area is to the right just before the sign. You will find the trail head on the other side of the road. Begin by following the obvious trail through the woods to the left of the creek bed. About 20 minutes into the hike you will see some red ribbons on the left. You should continue straight here towards West Wind Pass. If you turn left you will be heading to Rimwall. Continue upwards on a solid trail till you reach the pass. The pass is an open flat area with (as you face south-east) Rimwall up on the left and Windtower up on you right below Mount Lougheed. Cross over to the right and angle your way following a fairly obvious trail towards the ridge. Follow this ridge to the summit or to the col between Mount Lougheed and Windtower. Turn left and follow a gentle summit ridge to a series of small scrambles. The route here is obvious. There is extreme exposure on the right and a gentler slope on the left. Follow the ridge just to the left of the drop off. An easy walk back up to the summit. First hour in the woods the next on fairly solid scree up to the col. The rest is a ridge walk on fairly solid ground with a couple of scrambles.

Red Tape

Windtower as seen from the...Windtower from Rimwall
No red tape. This is a 1/2 day trip.
Don't leave items visable in the back of your car. Why tempt fate.

When To Climb

WindtowerLougheed from Rimwall
The summer months would be the most popular. June to end of September.

Camping

There are campgrounds in the area if desired
Spray Lakes West Shore Campground has 50 sites (403) 591-7226
There is also the Alpine Club of Canada lodge with rooms and excellent facilities of 19$ CDN a night. The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1

Mountain Conditions

Spray Lake Ranger Station. (403) 678-5533
Alberta Tourist Visitor Centre (403) 678-5277
The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1
weather office or (403) 762-2088 for weather conditions