Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.60100°N / 111.6454°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10530 ft / 3210 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Flagstaff Mountain is one of several 10,000+ foot summits which form the northern rim around the Alta ski resort, in Little Cottonwood Canyon. The peak is located at the southern end of the Reed and Benson Ridge, which divides Mill D South Fork on the west and Days Fork on the east. Flagstaff Mountain is located in the Wasatch National Forest.

A short and easy approach hike combined with relatively little elevation gain make this summit an ideal destination for novice hikers who do not wish to take on the more difficult Mount Superior a short distance to the west. More advanced hikers may choose to create a multi-summit ridge traverse by combining this peak along with the Honeycomb Cliffs further to the east.

This summit is identified as Flagstaff Mountain on the USGS topographic map, but some local guide books also refer to the summit as "Flagstaff Peak". Also interesting is the fact that a higher point (el. 10,561) is located just ±0.25 miles along the ridge to the north. This higher point can be reached via an easy ridge walk from the summit of Flagstaff.

USGS Quad:
  • Dromedary Peak, Utah (1:24k)


    Getting There

    The shortest and easiest approach for a hike up Flagstaff Mountain begins from the Cardiff Pass trailhead at the Alta Ski resort.

    Take the 6200 South exit (exit #6) off I-215 and follow highway 190 south-east approximately 2 miles to the intersection with Big Cottonwood Canyon road. Continue straight through the stoplight and follow the road another 4 miles to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, where an electronic billboard on the right provides current road and/or weather conditions.

    Continue east up Little Cottonwood Canyon approximately 8.3 miles to the Forest Service garage, an old stone structure located on the left (north) side of the road. Park along the road to the east of the garage, or in the large parking area across the road.

    Refer to the Routes section for details on ascending the peak.

    Red Tape

    There are no fees or permits required for hiking in this area.

    The initial portions of the trail passes near several private cabins; be respectful of the local property owners.

    When To Climb

    June through September is generally considered to be the summer hiking season. Earlier spring hikes may involve ascending consolidated snow fields, but this is an open south-facing hike so the snow will recede much sooner than other locations in the canyon.

    Camping

    Camping areas area abundant throughout Little Cottonwood Canyon. There is also lodging available at the Alta ski resort, as well as the Snowbird ski resort located one mile down the canyon.

    Mountain Conditions

  • National Weather Service forecast for the area.
  • Alta webcam looking west down Little Cottonwood Canyon.
  • Utah Avalanche Center website


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.