Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.26630°N / 13.76060°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9393 ft / 2863 m
Sign the Climber's Log

What's New On This Page?

  • April 17th, 2018: Description updated.
  • May 30th, 2010 - Pictures attached/detached
  • October 3rd, 2004 - Initial set up of the page.

Overview

Hochgolling from Greifenberg summitMichael Prittwitz - Hochgolling from the NE
Hochgolling, 2863 m is the highest summit of the long Niedere Tauern range, specifically the Schladminger Tauern group. Especially from north it makes a mighty impression with its compact, 1200 m high wall and sharp ridges, streching towards northeast and northwest. This wall rises from a huge amphytheater, covered with a fine, soft grass and many sources of crystal clear water, making it one of the most beautiful and majestic places in the group.

A short geography

Still, the 3-edged pyramid of Hochgolling from the north doesn't look like a simple con-peak. Its NW summit ridge is at first descending only gently, so the overall impression is more of a trapezoid mountain. The north wall is great, but it's importance for the difficult climbing challenges is probably not the highest one. But in winter conditions it can turn into a great alpinistic objective and indeed Hocholling got some such attention in the recent years. The N face is bordered on one side by the NW ridge, descending on the Gollingscharte, 2325 m, on the other side the more steep NE ridge is descending on the Rottor, 2270 m.
Hochgolling (2862m)marlenka - In all its splendor (from Lesachtal)
Towards the S, from the summit of Hochgolling a very long and rugged ridge stretches. The narrow area of our mountain is ending on the Tramörtenscharte, 2442 m, but beyond it, the ridge is waving over many elevations on the bold Kasereck, 2740 m, and then further towards the south, all the way to Tamsweg. This long ridge is separating the nong valleys of Göriachtal and Lessachtal. The first one can be also a very nice starting point for the normal ascent on Hochgolling, from the other one only experienced and equipped climbers can reach the summit. The SW and SE faces of the Hochgolling pyramid are quite similar to each other. Both are more than 1000 meters high, and again the western one is more people friendly, as over its upper part also the normal ascent on Hochgolling goes. Above the Göriachtal valley-end there's also a nice Landawirsee lake and above it a mountain hut. In the first place Hochgolling is interesting for mountaineers, who seek harder hikes and easy climbs. And the summit is also too steep for tour skiing (at best a 'normal' ski tour could be done only from the Gollingscharte).

A short climbing history

The first ascent of Hochgolling on the 8th of August, 1791 was recorded in his diary by the doctor and chronicler of Tamsweg, Joseph Alois Vogt. A special attention received the ascent of Archduke Johann, a big mountain enthusiast, on August 28th, 1817. For that purpose the today normal route was a bit engineered by the hunter Jakob Buchsteiner. The north wall was for the first time mastered in downclimb by Josef Borde, on September 2nd, 1897. On September 20th, 1921, Franz Herdlicka and his companions climbed the north face in its central part (Tunerbergsteigerweg, III) and on August 4th, 1923, Kurt Winzig and Richard Wagner followed them on an even more direct route of UIAA IV degree difficulty.

Summit Panorama

Hochgolling summit viewSouthern views
On the summit of Hochgolling...Sea of summits
Being situated between glaciers of Hohe Tauern and limestone walls of Dachstein, Hochgolling is an excellent panoramic mountain. I can hardly remember a mountain, from which I would see so many peaks around. Hohe Tauern, Niedere Tauern, the whole chain of Northern Limestone Alps, lower Gurktal Alps and moutains on the east, and - by me especially warmly welcomed - Julian Alps, Kamnik Alps and Karavanke far on south.

Getting There

Niedere Tauern interactive...Niedere Tauern
Hochgolling (2862m)marlenka - From Lessachtal
Hochgolling from the NNWSki Mountaineer - From the NNW
For the overall orientation, see the Niedere Tauern Group page! For the northern approach, we start in the famous tourist resort Schladming, 749 m, and drive southwards into the Untertal. The road finishes at Riesach waterfalls, 1079 m, where you find a big parking place. This place has also a bus connection with Schladming. For the southern approach you start in Mur valley, Mautendorf, 1123 m and Tamsweg, 1022 m are two bigger towns. From there you drive northwards into the long Goeriach valley. In Hintergoeriach, 1260 m, the public road ends.

Routes Overview

Hochgolling can be reached by marked paths either from the north or from the south. The summit part (above the Gollingscharte) is the same. 1. From the north. Riesachfaellen, 1079 m - Gollinghuette, 1641 m - Gollingscharte (notch), 2320 m - Hochgolling, 2863 m. 6 h 30 min. 2. From the south. Hintergoeriach, 1260 m - Landawirseenhuette, 1985 m - Gollingscharte (notch), 2320 m - Hochgolling, 2863 m. 5-6 hours.

Show a bigger map

Other Places To See

RiesachfälleDoJo - Riesachfälle
Riesach waterfalls. Untertal (valley) branches on a point, where two strong creeks join: Steinriesenbach, coming from the south (just from below Hochgolling) and Riesachbach, coming from the southeast. Before joining, the latter falls down a steep valley step, forming two strong and beautiful waterfalls. The highest one is with 70 meters the highest waterfall in Steiermark. 250 meters above the waterfalls the valley is broad and flat again and there lies a nice Riesachsee, 1338 m. Klafferkessel. South of the valley of Riesachbach and east of the valley of Steinriesenbach, between Waldhorn, 2702 m and Greifenberg, 2618 m, a famous high plateau lies, covered with as much as 30 beautiful small lakes and ponds. On the altitude between 2100 m and 2300 m there's everywhere fresh, clear water, running from pond to pond, from lake to lake. The whole scenery resembles much to Scotland, they say. If you add to the scenery picturesque surrounding summits, with white Dachstein walls in distance, you can understand why this remarcable area is protected as a natural parc.

Red Tape

For the summit ascent there are no limitations. Otherwise the area is protected as the Niedere Tauern National Parc.

When To Climb

The best months are July to September. When snow lies on trails the ascent can be much more demanding.

Camping

In GollingwinkelIn Gollingwinkel
> Gollinghütte, 1641 m. Opened from mid June to end September. 80 beds. Tel.: 03687/61350. From Riesachfaellen, 1079 m cca 2 h. > Landawirseenhütte, 1985 m. Open from mid June to end of September. 45 beds. Approx. 2 h from Vordere Göriachalm.

Mountain Conditions

For weather conditions for Austria see here (then choose regions: Salzburg, Steiermark and Kaernten). Here is the avalanche info page for Steiermark.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
DoJo

DoJo - Jul 10, 2007 4:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Landawirseehütte

open from mid June to end of September (45 beds) - approx. 2h from Vordere Göriachalm

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jul 11, 2007 4:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Landawirseehütte

Thank you! I inserted this info on the main page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Niedere TauernMountains & Rocks