Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.63100°N / 83.39°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6217 ft / 1895 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The famous, and much-used Ice...Ice Water Springs Shelter.
This is another major Southern Appalachian peak that's overshadowed by a much larger and more massive neighbor. In this case, it's Mount Kephart that's somewhat belittled by Mount Le Conte, its more famous neighbor. However, as the Appalachian Trail travels near the summit of Kephart, and as the most popular shelter in the park (Icewater Springs Shelter) is also near the peak on this most traveled of trails, I suspect Kephart is at least as commonly summited as Le Conte. However, a lot of folk who climb to the top of Kephart don't even realize they've done so, as they're too busy thinking of the views available on their way to The Jump Off.

[img:73662:aligncenter:medium:Ice Water Springs Shelter.]

The only trail that summits Kephart, of which I'm aware, is the spur trail from The Boulevard, which goes right over the evergreened summit, a side trail of three-tenths of a mile that takes one over to The Jumpoff, agruably one of the highest sheer walls in the eastern United States.



Getting There

Take 441 from either Gatlinburg TN or Cherokee NC to Newfound Gap. Park in the lot and take the Applachian Trail north.

[img:122361:aligncenter:medium:From the Jump Off]


Red Tape

None just to hike. If staying in the backcountry or in one of the shelters on the AT, you must acquire a backcountry permit at a ranger station, unless you're an AT through-hiker.

When To Climb

Any time of year. Be aware that this part of the Southern Appalachians receives very cold and sometimes icy weather with heavy snow during the winter. Thunderstorms can be a concern on the ridges all year long.

Camping

Camping is allowed, at designated sites, with permits.

Mountain Conditions

Check with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Weather for nearby cities is unrliable for the high country.
[img:132698:aligncenter:medium:View from the Jumpoff.]
For news on trail conditions, trail/road closings, bear activity, and other issues, check here.



External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
BobSmith

BobSmith - Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I think most national parks have a no dogs policy. At least they have to be on leashes, and generally not allowed in the back country. There may be some kind of rule that allows them with thru-hikers on the AT.

I personally can't stand dogs. I enjoy being able to hike and camp and backpack without them around.

Cortez

Cortez - Aug 19, 2005 10:32 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Dogs are not allowed in Smoky Mt. National Park.

BUMMER!!!

sopwith21 - Dec 29, 2021 12:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Untitled Comment

Disobey. :)

BobSmith

BobSmith - Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I think most national parks have a no dogs policy. At least they have to be on leashes, and generally not allowed in the back country. There may be some kind of rule that allows them with thru-hikers on the AT.

I personally can't stand dogs. I enjoy being able to hike and camp and backpack without them around.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.