Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.93810°N / 118.4031°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13179 ft / 4017 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mt Wynne is a rarely visited back country peak located off Pinchot Pass along the John Muir and Pacific Crest Trails. It's location and the fact that it is not the highest peak around cause it to receive very few visitors each year. As one approaches Pinchot Pass, Mt Wynne is a very prominent dark mass that looms not more than a mile from the pass. From its summit one has spectacular views into the Kings and Woods Creek river drainages.
This peak receives only a handful of climbers each year, and is currently in need of a register. The standard route from Pinchot Pass up the west ridge is class 2, with class 3 variations abounding on the ascent.

Getting There


Mt Wynne is located off Pinchot Pass between the Sawmill Pass Trail and the Taboose Pass Trail. Both these trails start at a very low elevation in the valley and ascend over the Sierra Crest to the JMT/PCT where one can reach Pinchot Pass and the standard route. Neither trail is easy, and the peak is more often climbed as part of a through hike or longer trip, that happens to ascend Pinchot Pass. To reach the Sawmill Pass Trailhead follow Steve Eckert's directions http://www.climber.org/DrivingDirections/sawmill.html
For Taboose Pass turn west toward the Taboose Creek Campground, south of Big Pine and North of Independence. Follow Taboose Creek Rd to the trailhead. 4wd is recommended on both roads.

Red Tape


For any overnight stay in the back country a wilderness permit is required. These can be obtained from any of the Inyo National Forest Ranger Stations, either in Lone Pine or Bishop. There is no fee for walk-in overnight permits, there is a fee if you wish to reserve a permit ahead of time.
Mt. Whitney Ranger Station
760-876-6200
P.O. Box 8
Lone Pine, CA 93545
White Mountain Ranger Station
760-873-2500
798 North Main Street
Bishop, CA 93514
Inyo National Forest

When To Climb


The peak is most often climbed in summer conditions between June and September. Snow climbs are possible, though would require long approaches over the Sierra Crest in winter conditions.

Camping


One can camp at the trailheads, though there are no established campsites or clean water sources. On the mountain one may make camp where ever they please, adhering to the usual N.F. backcountry policies.

Mountain Conditions


For mountain conditions contact the Inyo National Forest, for road conditions check the caltrans or go to
Inyo National Forest Road Conditions



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPMountains & Rocks
 
 
California ThirteenersMountains & Rocks