Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.41940°N / 112.4119°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12137 ft / 3699 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Belknap is within the Tushar mountains and located east of Beaver, Utah and West of Marysvale, Utah and about 190 miles south of Salt Lake City. This entire mountain range is composed of volcanic rock dating back some 23 million years. Mining has also played a large part in the ability to access the peak easily. Though Delano (highest peak in the Tushar’s) is about 10 meters higher, Belknap is much more challenging, and probably the most impressive peak in the Tushars.

Belknap was also used as a Heliograph Station and ruins of the surveyors huts are still very present just west of the summit.

Utah's 12,000+ Foot Peaks With 200+ Feet Prominence

Utah's 12,000+ Foot Peaks With 300+ Feet Prominence

Belknap as seen from Delano,...Belknap as seen from Delano.

Getting There

Beaver

From I-15 take Exit 112 and head east and south into the town of Beaver 1.5 miles to state route 153 (Elk Meadows signage). Take left and follow for 16 miles, turn left onto dirt road (Big John Flats). Follow dirt road for 9.9 miles and a sharp switchback to the right. Plenty of parking for about four cars. A bit of trivia: #1) At just over 11,500 feet, this is the highest road in Utah. #2) Butch Cassidy, famous outlaw was born in Beaver.

Marysvale

From the intersection on Route 89 and bullion Ave head east .60 miles to Beaver Creek road. Turn right onto Beaver Creek road and follow for about 14.5 miles to a sharp switchback to the left. Plenty of parking for about four cars.

I-70

From I-70 take exit 17, get on the north side of I-70 and follow dirt road (Kimberly Road) southwest while paralleling I-70 and than crossing under it while now driving in a southerly direction for about 13.5 miles to an intersection with Beaver Creek road. Turn right onto Beaver Creek Road and follow for about 5.25 miles to a sharp switchback to the left. Plenty of parking for about four cars.

View south from Mount BelknapLooking south from the summit of Mount Belknap looking towards Delano Peak.

Routes Overview

By far the most popular route is via the Southeast Ridge. This is also the shortest route and takes only a few hours. A variation of this route is from the pass at elevation 10,973.

There is another route in from Blue Lake. This route is longer and much less used, but makes a nice loop with Baldy Peak. I will be adding it when time is available.

Belknap as seen from the...Belknap as seen from the summit of Baldy.

Red Tape

No red tape, there are a few gates in using the Beaver (Big John Flats) approach that could be closed during winter months.

When To Climb

Summer and Fall are the easiest times since Beaver Creek Road is open. In winter, the road may be plowed to the old Elk Meadows Ski Resort, and no farther. In winter, climbing Mount Belknap is a 3-4 day affair.

Mount BelknapMount Belknap as viewed from the south, about 700 vertical feet up.

Camping

Camgrounds

Mohagany Flat Campground is at Puffer Lake and is the closest campground to the trailhead.

Primitive Camping

There are plenty of camping areas throughout the Big John Flats area.

Mountain Conditions

TUSHAR MOUNTAINS WEATHER FORECAST

Below is the climate summary for nearby Elk Meadows at 10,450 feet elevation, and near the trailheads. These are all averages, so expect more variation, but this will give you a good idea about the climate at higher elevations in the area. *National Weather Service Data.


MONTHHIGH LOWPRECIP (in)SNOWFALL (in)
JAN2615.5169.9
FEB2944.3161.5
MAR3474.5564.9
APR43143.8845.7
MAY52213.6523.6
JUN63301.193.0
JUL69382.380
AUG67362.920
SEP61282.114.8
OCT50191.7317.6
NOV3692.5735.2
DEC2733.6648.8



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Tushar MountainsMountains & Rocks