Hole-In-the-Mountain Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.95080°N / 115.1217°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 11306 ft / 3446 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hole-In-the-Mountain Peak is the high point of the East Humboldt Range in northeastern Nevada. Even just a hike into Lizzies Basin (just below the peak) is amazing. The brush disappears and there is one stream that cascades down much of the granite. There are many wildflowers and the several hundred foot high cliffs seem to wrap around the basin. The area is gorgeous in itself, but the strange pentagonal hole a little south of the true summit, visible from US 93 when the setting sun is just below the crest, is the magnet. Perhaps 15 people a year visit the summit, but not as many make it to the hole, known locally as "Lizzie's Window" after the pioneer woman who first noticed it. The usual route to the summit is class 2.

Hole-In-The-Mountain PeakHole-In-The-Mountain Peak from the west


The East Humboldt Range is really an extension of the Ruby Mountains and lies just to the north of them. Like the nearby Ruby Mountains, the East Humboldt Range is extremely lush and brushy when compared to the other Great Basin ranges, this is because of the wetter climate here. An interesting resource about the ranges and their climate can be found here.

The view from the summit is also grand. Looking north from the summit you will be able to see Greys Peak of the very northern tip of the range about 5 miles away. Looking to the east you will be able to see Pilot Peak very prominent about 55 miles away. Ruby Dome of the Ruby Mountains can be seen to the southwest about 30 miles away along with some other 11,000 foot peaks nearby. Looking in any other direction will be the classic Great Basin Desert view.

Hole-In-The-Mountain Peak has 4849 feet of prominence and comes in at #11 for Nevada peaks with the most prominence. A list of Nevada peaks with more than 2000 feet of prominence can be found here.

Getting There

Rock Face on Hole in the Mountain PeakCalico Wall - Seen on the hike up


From Wells, Nevada (16 miles):

Drive south on US 93 from Wells, Nevada for 5.25 miles, and take a right on signed state road 232 west. This road heads directly west for almost two miles then takes a turn to the south. At just over 8.5 miles from when you turned onto 232 you will reach a dirt road signed "USFS Weeks Access.", take a right and head west on it. Coordinates for this turnoff are: N 40.9331 W -115.0320 (WGS 84). The access road is 2.8 miles long until you reach USFS land. The entire first 2.8 miles is all on private property. If you have a sedan you should have no problems getting to USFS property. Though once you reach USFS property (elevation: 6800 feet) the road becomes rocky and very steep. From here on up, if you're looking to drive you will need high clearance and 4WD.

Now that you've entered USFS land, continue up this "main" road for another 1.5 miles and gaining 1500 feet of elevation. The road ends and a small trail heads up the slope in front of you. This is the "trailhead".

If you are coming in from the south on US 93, I would recommend driving up to the paved portion of Nevada State Road 232, mentioned above. If you notice on the maps, state road 232 loops back around to US 93, but this part of the road is dirt and rather bumpy for several miles, and you will probably save more time being able to drive faster on a paved road.


Red Tape & USGS Quads

Hole-In-The-Mountain Peak resides in the East Humboldt Wilderness and is part of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest. Please follow wilderness area rules. No permits are required. There are no fees.

  • Humboldt Peak(NV) (1:24k)

  • Tent Mountain(NV) (1:24k)


  • Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
    1200 Franklin Way
    Sparks, NV 89431
    (775) 331-6444

    When To Climb

    The best time of the year to hit the peak would be July through late September. This range is unusually wet for the area, while surrounding Great Basin peaks might not have that much snow, the Humboldt Range typically has much more.

    The access road is not gated, therefore access should not be restricted to the area during the winter. Avalanches are a threat to this area; if you are planning a winter ascent you should check with the Forest Service for current snowpack conditions.

    Camping

    There is limited camping from the access road in. The first few miles of the access road is private property and camping is not allowed. Once inside National Forest property, there aren't that many options, there are a couple turnoffs that go to Leach Creek. One pullout right before the 4WD Trailhead, and camping at the trailhead is also a possibility.

    If you are looking for a developed campground, your best bet is Angel Creek Campground, located 20 miles away. For information about the campground check here: Angel Creek Campground

    Mountain Conditions

    A predicted forecast for the area can be found here.

    Local weather for Wells, NV can be found here.

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-6 of 6
    hgrapid

    hgrapid - Jan 1, 2011 5:08 pm - Hasn't voted

    New link for Greys Peak

    On your page, you still have the old link to Greys Peak. The user deleted the page. I have recreated it. Here is the new link: http://www.summitpost.org/greys-peak-nevada/688513

    gjagiels

    gjagiels - Jan 4, 2011 7:13 pm - Hasn't voted

    Re: New link for Greys Peak

    Thanks for catching this Dan! Its now updated. Its annoying when people delete their stuff around here, but its nice to get an up to date page too. Greg

    hgrapid

    hgrapid - Jan 5, 2011 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

    You're Welcome

    No problem Greg. I climbed Grey's Peak in July 2010, so it was fresh is my mind. I climbed its neighbor, Peak 10745 the same day. A trip I will never forget. If I had more time, I would have loved to check out Hole in the Mountain Peak. Is it really dangerous?

    gjagiels

    gjagiels - Jan 12, 2011 9:03 pm - Hasn't voted

    Re: You're Welcome

    Its a wonderful area isn't it? If you go early spring or summer, there could be a lot of snow in the chute. When I visited there was no snow and the hardest part was not slipping on the loose scree, best thing to do was stay on the grass. Unfortunately if more people went up there, it would be eroded away. Not a dangerous peak IMO. Greg

    famartin1 - Oct 24, 2014 3:23 am - Hasn't voted

    roads

    Sumitted on 9/23/2014. The road through private land to the USFS boundary might be able to get a low clearance vehicle up there, but not without scraping bottom a lot; perhaps it was the summer rains, but there's been pretty decent erosion and there are now some ruts. Would not want to take low clearance up there if I could help it. The road beyond the forest service boundary is deplorable right now; horribly eroded and full of large rocks. Made great effort in a rented SUV but could only get halfway; hit a section with lots of loose rocks about 7500 feet and it just would not go any higher. Would probably need 4-low to make it. Trail is poor but not impossible to find beyond the actual "road" end. Did lose it a couple times, though, but with your destination in sight until you get to the chute, its not easy to truly get lost. Upper-most section was very steep and rocky; not quite class 3 but not far from it. Had trouble not sliding down the chute on the way back down and ended up twisting an ankle; that wasn't fun.

    stein30 - Jun 28, 2019 2:15 pm - Hasn't voted

    Missing trail and loads of snow

    The USFS road is nearly impassable now and the trail has nearly disappeared as well, except for a few rock cairns here and there. There was also quite a bit of snow still, so I stuck to the ridge. The final part is a bit dangerous with the snow but doable. I would wait until late July for the some of the snow to melt before trying this.

    Viewing: 1-6 of 6


    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.