Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.11200°N / 81.81°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5964 ft / 1818 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the highest peak on Grandfather Mountain. It is a very popular hike and can be tackled by hikers in moderately good shape. You can also see the Summit Post section on MacRae Peak which describes another peak on Grandfather Mt. The appeal of this route is its relative solitude. You can get to the peak by several different trails but the route I describe is the most secluded. It is about a 3.5 mile hike one way and usually averages 4-5 hours round trip with an elevation gain of 1700 feet. A You Tube film shows a crashed Cessna with the accident on or around May 5, 1978 near the summit. [ Alternatiwely:If hiking to Calloway Peak from southwest to northeast via MacRae and Attic Window peaks beginning at the Swinging Bridge, the owners say that the distance is 3.8km(2.4 mi) and the round trip averages 5 hrs. The land owners (Mortons) say that this elevation should be 5946 ft.-there is no USGS data sheet]

Getting There

Look for the Boone Fork parking area North of Mile Marker 300 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take the Tanawha Trail South for about a mile to the clearly marked Daniel Boone Scout Trail. There is water available 1.5 miles in at Bear Wallow Spring. There are several designated camp areas and nice overlooks en route. Toward the top there are two sections of ladders with fixed cables that are easily negotiated in good weather.

Red Tape

Grandfather Mountain is privately owned. Hiking fees are charged to finance conservation efforts and trail maintenance. You will need a hiking permit available at park entrance (US 221, Linville) or Grandfather Mountain Market (US 221 and Hlloway Mtn. Rd.) Call the Rangers office for other locations (828) 737-0833 or email: hiking@grandfather.com.

When To Climb

The mountain can be climbed year round but don't be lulled into complacency. Spring, summer and fall are best.

Camping

Several small campsites are available along the trail on a first come first serve basis. Camping is in designated areas only. After reaching the top you can continue down the red-blazed Calloway Trail for additional campsites. When you purchase your hiking permit you will be given a Trail Map and Backcountry Guide that will clearly mark campsites and available water.

Mountain Conditions

Lightning strikes, 100 mph winds, deep snow and sub-zero cold can set in rapidly in the fall and winter. Trails and rocky areas can be quite slippery in wet weather. Though not as rugged as other areas of the country, North Carolina does have a few challenging hikes. For current weather conditions and other info call (800) 468-7325 or go to www.grandfather.com.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jun 19, 2009 3:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Latitude and longitude are off

The latitude and longitude are off. Shows up on the mountain side far from Calloway Peak.

Scott

Scott - May 21, 2015 10:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Latitude and longitude are off

I fixed the coordinates. If you ever notice any that are off and the page member isn't active, feel free to let me know and I can fix them.

hgrapid

hgrapid - May 22, 2015 3:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Latitude and longitude are off

Thanks Scott, will do.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Oct 15, 2010 10:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Grandfather Mountain State Park

"The Backcountry of Grandfather Mountain is now Grandfather Mountain State Park. Grandfather Mountain Rangers will continue to maintain and patrol the trails through 2009 until the state can introduce its own staff. There is no charge to access Grandfather Mountain State Park from trailheads at the base of the Mountain, but registration is required for safety reasons." -Grandfather.com

Phil'sUP

Phil'sUP - Jul 8, 2014 9:50 am - Hasn't voted

Coordinates

Agree, coordinates are off. I marked the peak with my Garmin eTrex-30 and read the coords at: N 36.112 W 81.810

boozoodoo - Jun 22, 2016 10:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Calloway Peak hike

Below is a more scenic route up to Grandfather Mountain's Calloway Peak from the Boone Fork parking lot on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take the Nuwati Trail first instead of going up Daniel Boone Scout trail. Nuwati Trail is relatively flat the whole way, but when you reach the Cragway Trail head and turn left, it goes straight up by comparison and is also very narrow at points as if it was craved into the mountain, and as you climb you will see a mountain bowl or valley on your right out in the open for much of the way, and great photo opportunities, until you reach the next junction at Flat Rock View. When you come back down the mountain though, then I would take Daniel Boone Scout trail instead as originally posted, which is very wooded, but you can fly down the mountain using your poles, because this trail is much more gradual of a decent and wider all the way down to Tanawha Trail which borders the Blue Ridge Parkway. I decided to take Daniel Boone Scout trail back down because I was in a huge hurry to get back to my vehicle before it got too dark for me to see. I was ill prepared to spend the night outdoors in the winter time, and I was in a bit of a panic! Cragway Trail is a very beautiful trail though all the way up. I hiked it when it was covered in snow and ice, stopping to take photos all along the way of the views and plants, but stopping so much ate up a lot of my daylight hours unfortunately. The route to Calloway Peak from Flat Rock View is awesome too and fairly rugged. This is very much of an all day hike, and to be safe, I would suggest even packing to spend a night, even if you do not end up doing so. I hiked up and down that day in nine hours total, and when I got back to my Inn, I was totally exhausted and suffering from mild to moderate hypothermia. The day temps at the peak were in the low 20s, while in the valley the 40s, and probably near zero at the peak at night, so I am glad that I did not get stuck out there. I took a 45 minute hot shower when I got back to my room and still felt cold when I got out, which is kind of scary!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.