Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.64200°N / 118.3143°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13947 ft / 4251 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Trojan Peak lies just east of the Sierra crest about 5 miles north of Mt. Whitney, wholely within the John Muir Wilderness. Though one of the 20 highest peaks in California, it is overshadowed by taller and more popular peaks that crowd it on three sides: Mts. Williamson, Tyndall, and Barnard. Coupled with the fact that it comes up 53 feet short of being a coveted 14er, it sees relatively few visitors.

The peak is not technically difficult, no more than class 2 from most approaches. Even more so than nearby Mt. Barnard, the peak is a very high pile of rubble and sand whose tediousness at altitude can tax even the most ardent peakbagger.

The name of the peak was suggested by Chester Versteeg and Ralph Chase for their Alma Mater, the University of Southern California. Versteeg's first suggestion, Southern California Peak, was rejected by the BGN (a wise decision to avoid a confusingly named peak). Versteeg was also responsible for naming Lake Helen of Troy, located just northwest of the peak.

Getting There

All the approaches to Trojan Peak are long and arduous, and almost always done as a multiday backpack trip. In fact, Trojan Peak is rarely the primary objective of any given outing, often the second or third peak to be climbed in the area.

The shortest approach is via George Creek, a classic Eastern Sierra bushwhack amply described on Mt. Williamson's Southeast Ridge route page. Somewhere near the 2900m level (yes, this is one of the silly USGS maps that got done in meters) you will be able to see the broad chute leading to the Barnard-Trojan basin. Follow this up for the easiest approach to Trojan's Southeast Slopes. An alternative approach is to take the right branch of George Creek (same as you would take to Mt. Williamson) and climbing this snow-filled chute to the class 2 Southeast Slopes. Because George Creek is open only until May 15, you are likely to encounter mostly snow above the 3100m level.

A second approach is via the Shepherd Pass TH, hiking up to Shepherd Pass then crossing Williamson Bowl (see the approach description for Williamson's West Face route). After reaching the highest of the Williamson Bowl lakes, climb southeast to Lake Helen of Troy, then head south to the saddle on the Sierra crest between Trojan Peak and Mt. Versteeg. From the crest it is a straightforward climb to follow the Southwest Ridge. Alternatively, one can climb to the summit from the saddle between it and Mt. Williamson. The easiest climbing is found to the right on the Northwest Face. Both variations from Williamson Bowl are class 2.

A third approach, and by far the least tedious is from the JMT east through Wright Lakes. Leave the JMT in the vicinity of Bighorn Plateau and follow Wright Creek to the northeast, following the middle fork to the west side of the Sierra crest between Mt. Barnard and Trojan Peak. The last 300m to the Sierra crest are steep class 3 and described by Secor as the West Face. Once at the crest, follow the Southwest Ridge to the summit.

Red Tape & Mountain Conditions

See the restrictions below concerning the Bighorn Sheep Zoologocial Preserve.

Wilderness Permits are required for overnight visits in the John Muir Wilderness and Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park. For an east side entry, everything you need to know about conditions, permits and regulations can be found on the Eastern Sierra - Logisitcal Center page.

When To Climb

Since Trojan Peak falls within the Bighorn Sheep Zoological area, climbs of Trojan Peak are limited throughout the year. George Creek is open only from April 15 to May 15, and Dec 15 to Jan 1. Williamson Bowl is open from Dec 15 to July 15. The Wright Lakes approach is open year round, but the last third of a mile from the Sierra crest eastward falls within the time restrictions for Williamson Bowl. If you are climbing illegally after July 15, at least consider this route as the least disruptive of the three.

Camping

In George Creek, there are some suitable flat camp sites at the 2800m level between the two forks of the creek. There are also some sites further up near the 3100m level, which are sometimes just below snowline around early May.

There are some stark and desolate campsites at the two upper lakes in Williamson Bowl. Plenty of water, but no shade and little flora/fauna.

Wright Lakes, with dozens of lakes and alpine meadows, offers probably the best camping options near Trojan Peak.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Langenbacher

Langenbacher - Apr 22, 2006 11:20 pm - Hasn't voted

coordinates

coordinates should be 36.64228 N, 118.31531, NAD83 / WGS84 , should they not ?

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Apr 25, 2006 6:24 pm - Hasn't voted

oops.

I had two digits switched on the latitude. Thanks for pointing that out!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

John Muir WildernessMountains & Rocks
 
 
Contiguous US Highest 150Mountains & Rocks
 
 
California ThirteenersMountains & Rocks