Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.42400°N / 72.645°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3642 ft / 1110 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Sharing the name of one of the more celebrated (and visited) mountains in Vermont, Hogback Mountain in Stowe, VT provides an opportunity for solace. Located in the Bed and Breakfast town of Stowe, VT Hogback Mountain is most notable for its lesser, and more often visited summit, Stowe Pinnacle and the views provided of the more well known summits such as Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield.

Hogback lies between Mounts Hunger and Worcester in the Worcester Range. A majority of the Worcester range is owned and controlled by the Putnam State Forest.

Because the Worcester Range is not part of the Long Trail, and there are many direct routes to the neighboring mountain summits, the summit of Hogback should be considered "off the beaten path". While a trip to the wooded peak provides ample views of the surrounding ranges, the summit is heavily wooded and off trail - so true summit baggers will need GPS to locate the peak.

The most direct route to Hogback's summit begins at the parking area for Stowe Pinnacle, however it can be reached from the summits of either Mount Worcester or Hunger using the skyline trail.

Getting There


To reach Upper Hollow Rd take Vermont 100 to the town of Stowe. In downtown Stowe turn east on School Street. At .3 miles bear right onto Stowe Hollow Rd. As you wind up Stowe Hollow Rd you will reach an intersection. Head straight, as the road becomes Upper Hollow Rd. Upper Hollow Rd crosses a small brook and continues to wind - stay right - and at 2.5 miles from School St you will see a small parking lot on the left hand side of the road.

The lot holds approximately 10 cars, parking is allowed on the side of the road.

Red Tape


There are no permits required. The Stowe Pinnacle Trail (which comprises the first 1.7 miles of the hike from Upper Hollow Rd) is closed from April 15th to Memorial Day due to wet conditions.

When To Climb


Hogback can easily be climbed in the summer and fall. Avoid it during the spring as the trails are closed due to muddy conditions. To see the fall colors of Vermont be sure to visit during the first week of October.

Camping


Camping is allowed anywhere in the Green Mountains below 2500 feet. Little River Campgroup is approximtaley 20 minutes South, 3 miles off of US Route 2. Tent camping is $16.

Mountain Conditions


State of Vermont Parks contact:

Vermont Dept. of Forests Parks & Recreation, 103 South Main Street , Waterbury, VT, 05671-0601, Phone: 802-241-3670, parks@fpr.anr.state.vt.us
http://www.state.vt.us/anr/fpr/


Stowe, VT






Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Worcester RangeMountains & Rocks