Catamount Hill (New Hampshire)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.15360°N / 71.3938°W
Additional Information Elevation: 741 ft / 226 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A view from Catamount Hill by...


Catamount Hill, located in Bear Brook State Park is a popular local hike. Though Catamount Hill is not the highest summit in the park, it is the only summit hike that has good views and has trails that offer a slight challenge. The summit itself has no view but there are three overlooks along the loop hike. Bear Brook Park itself is more well known for it's swimming area and snowmobile museum. However Catamount Hill clearly gives Bear Brook another dimension and is worth the two mile round-trip hike.

A view from Catamount Hill by...View east


The hike is very popular with young families and for those who are fighting the hiking blues during the mud season. During summer except a crowd on the trail due to the fact that it is located very close to Concord and Manchester. Also due to it's lower elevation snow melts on the trail up to two weeks earlier then nearby summits.

The trail up to the top is an easy class one with only four hundred feet of climbing.


Getting There

VIA ROUTE US 3: Take U.S. 3 to the intersection with Route 28 with signs towards Bear Brook State Park. Make a right on Allentown-Derryfield Road. Take the road until you see a toll booth on the right. Park at the toll booth on the either the left or the right (Closed in winter).

Red Tape

Yes there is $3 fee to park at Bear Brook State Park. Watch for hunting season in fall. In October it is Bear hunting season and in November it is Moose hunting season.

When To Climb

This is one hill that can be climb at any season. I would recommend though this hike for April due to the fact that it is such a good hike during the mud season.

Camping

There is no camping allowed on Catamount Trail, however Bear Brook has a 107 unit campsite within the park. For information call 603-485-9869.

Mountain Conditions

For more information contact Bear Brook State Park at (603) 485-9874. Weatehr conditions should be similiar to either Concord or Manchester, New Hampshire.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Concord-Manchester AreaMountains & Rocks