Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.31890°N / 115.5°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11298 ft / 3444 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Troy Peak is the highest point in the Grant Mountains. This remote mountain range is located in central Nevada about 120 miles southwest of Ely. John Muir once climbed Troy Peak in the late 1800's, and supposedly said that this was his favorite peak in Nevada. Troy Peak is located in the Humboldt National Forest, and the Grant Range Wilderness Area. The Quinn Canyon Wilderness Area is also located nearby. The high, lofty, white limestone crest of the Grant Range rises a vertical mile over the Railroad Valley to the west. About eight miles of the range crest is above 10,000'. The impressive west face of Troy Peak includes a nearly vertical 900' high section, and ancient Bristlecone Pine trees cling to life along the rugged slopes of the range.

Troy Peak lives a quiet existence in the vast Great Basin wilderness. Like many Great Basin mountains, it doesn't seem to attract much attention. Nevada has 171 peaks with at least 2,000' of prominence, more than any other state, so even impressive mountains like Troy Peak tend to fade away into insignificance against the Great Basin landscape. However, the new field of Prominence has made Troy Peak an important mountain. With a prominence of 4,790', Troy Peak is able to make an impressive appearance on the crowded Nevada Prominence Map.

Getting There

From Ely, drive southwest on US 6 to NV 318. Turn left, and drive about 44 miles south on 318, then turn right onto a good gravel road that passes by the Kirch Wildlife Management Area and heads for the Cherry Creek Campground. Follow the main road as it first heads west, then south. After 23 miles, you will see a two-track dirt road that heads west. There is a small signpost here that indicates Forest Road 412. Drive eight miles west to the end of the road at a vehicle barrier in Schofield Canyon. Park here.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Ely Ranger District for the latest information. Their telephone number is 775-289-3031.

Forest Service Map: Humboldt National Forest (Ely Ranger District West Half).
Topo Maps: Troy Canyon; Horse Spring Hills.

Camping

The Cherry Creek Forest Service Campground is located 15 miles southwest of Troy Peak. This is the closest campground to Troy Peak.

External Links

  • Nevada Prominence Map

  • Humboldt National Forest

  • Grant Range Wilderness

  • Quinn Canyon Wilderness

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1
    jdmorehouse

    jdmorehouse - Apr 14, 2015 7:22 pm - Voted 8/10

    Road Condition

    As of 4-12-15, the road is drivable to 6300'. Beyond that it has been washed out by a severe flash flood and is criss crossed by deep ravines. Even ATV have not been able to drive further. This will add another four plus miles to the hike, minimum, depending on how far you drove in the last time. A fire burned the forest to the ground in 2014, so there is that to contend with as well.

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1



  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.