Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.83850°N / 111.7496°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11174 ft / 3406 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From its name one would guess that North Peak must lie to the north of something, which in this case happens to be the much more popular and well known summit of Mount Nebo. North Peak lies approximately 1.25 miles to the north of Mount Nebo's north summit. With an elevation 750 feet lower than Nebo, North Peak goes largely overlooked, despite the fact that the trail to Nebo passes right along the base of North Peak's west slopes.

North Peak is a quite easy 11,000+ foot summit to climb, owing to its short approach and high trailhead elevation. The peak provides a significantly easier objective for those not wishing to press on for the summit of Mount Nebo. Of course stronger hikers will find it easy to include a visit to North Peak as part of a Nebo climb, either on the way to Nebo or on the return hike.

North Peak is located in the Uinta National Forest, Spanish Fork Ranger District.

USGS Quads:
  • Mona, Utah (1:24k)
  • Nebo Basin, Utah (1:24k)


    Getting There

    North Peak is accessed most easily from the Nebo Loop Road. To reach the trailhead take the Payson Exit (exit 254) from Interstate-15 and proceed south through the town of Payson to 100 North. Turn left (east) on 100 North for approximately 0.25 miles, then turn right (south) on 600 East, which is the beginning of the Nebo Loop Road. Follow the Nebo Loop Road for approximately 24 miles to a dirt turnoff and parking area on the right (west) side of the road, which is the trailhead for the Nebo Bench Trail. Take the dirt road on the north side of the parking and proceed an additional 0.3 miles along the Mona Pole Road, until the road crosses a cattle guard. Park near the fence to the left (south) of the cattle guard.

    Thanks to Summitpost member rmjwinters for his excellent directions which I used for locating this trailhead when I climbed North Peak.

    See the 'Routes' section of this page for details on ascending the peak.

    Red Tape

    No fees or red tape for the routes listed on this page.

    The Nebo Loop Road may remain closed until late spring, depending on the previous winter snowpack.

    When To Climb

    Late May or early June, through the first significant snowfall of the season.

    This area of Utah is known for its excellent Autumn foliage, so mid September hikes are especially enjoyable. Of course auto traffic on the Nebo Loop Road will reflect this, so plan a non-weekend hike if possible.

    Mountain Conditions

  • National Weather Service forecast .
  • Utah Avalanche Center website.

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1
    Moogie737

    Moogie737 - May 27, 2012 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

    Monument TH restrooms

    As of 5-26-12 the toilet building and everything associated with it was AWOL. Completely gone. Plan accordingly...

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.