Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.18010°N / 82.6342°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3114 ft / 949 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the many great views...Views


Big Knob, also known locally as Cedar Rock, is along a very popular hiking/mountainbiking trail in Du Pont State Forest. Access is via several trails, all relatively easy with only a couple of steep pulls to the summit. The main attraction of Big Knob, other than the fantastic views from the domes of granitic stone all along the ridgeline, are the huge patches of vigorous, but very rare and highly fragile plant communities that grow on and along the edges of the exposed rock. Look, but don't trample.

Getting There

From I-85, take 276 north. Passing by Caesar's Head State Park (SC) you soon come to the NC border. Only a few miles past the border, cross the eastern continental divide (2,910 feet at that point), and look for the sign for Du Pont State Forest. There, take a right on Cascade Lake Road. At Staton Road, take a right. Within a mile you will see the Corn Mill Shoals Access area on the left. Turn into the lot and park there. The trailhead for Corn Mill Shoals Trail is directly across the road from the parking area.


The Little River. An...Water

Red Tape

None. All hiking, biking, and horseback riding in Du Pont State Forest is free.

A great website for Du Pont State Forest can be found right here.


Du Pont State Forest has an extremely extensive system of trails:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A detailed online version of this map can be seen here.

The nearby Triple Falls. One...Triple Falls

When To Climb

All year.

The trail that leads up to...Trails.

Camping

There is currently no camping within the 10K+ acres of Du Pont State Forest. It's a newly acquired property for the state and until impact statements and budget concerns are investigated, the park remains day use only.

Mountain Conditions

Check the weather for Brevard, NC.

External Links

  • Du Pont State Forest.
    The semi-official website for Du Pont State Forest. Run, I think, by Friends of Du Pont State Forest.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.