Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.95600°N / 115.536°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7162 ft / 2183 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Edgar Peak is the highest point in the Providence Mountains. These rugged desert mountains are located in the Providence Mountains State Recreation Area and the Mojave National Preserve. Edgar Peak is a classic Mojave Desert peak. The steep, rugged slopes of the mountain stand far above the desert plains, and it's summit provides dramatic views of the surrounding desert. Other high peaks in the range include the nearby Fountain and Mitchell Peaks.

With an elevation of 7,162', Edgar Peak ranks way down on the California elevation list. But the new field of Prominence has made Edgar Peak a more important mountain. With a prominence of 2,208', it's just big enough to make an appearance on the California Prominence Map.

Getting There

From Interstate 40, take Exit 100. Drive 15 miles north on the paved Essex Road to the Providence Mountains State Recreation Area.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Providence Mountains State Recreation Area at 760-928-2586 for the latest information.

Topo Map: Fountain Peak.

Camping

There is a good developed campground with six sites located within the recreation area. As of 2005, the camping fee is $12 per night.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-7 of 7

KathyW - Mar 3, 2013 6:32 pm - Hasn't voted

PMSRA is closed

Providence Mountains State Recreation Area is closed, and there is a locked gate 2 miles before the Visitor Center.

jdmorehouse

jdmorehouse - Mar 19, 2013 3:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: PMSRA is closed

I spoke with a ranger at the Kelso visitor's center, and she said not only closed, but one could get cited if found within the boundaries of the park. What??? (So I climbed Mitchell instead). However, she said there was talk about opening the park on a limited basis this fall some time.

SnugTaco - May 24, 2016 5:12 am - Hasn't voted

Looks open now

I drove by the visitor center around 5:30 pm on May 22, 2016. There was a ranger's police cruiser at the building and one hiker car parked in the lot. It looks open. The Hole In the Wall campground was also open with some campers in RVs.

T. White

T. White - Apr 3, 2018 10:48 pm - Hasn't voted

State park access still restricted?

According to the Desert Peaks Section on 3/11/18: "The staff there has communicated to several DPS leaders and Management Committee members over the past several months that the entire area is closed to cross-country travel," and "there is no legal way to access the peak."

Candace66

Candace66 - Jul 19, 2020 3:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Current access situation

Regarding access to Fountain, Edgar, and Mitchell Point... On July 19, 2020, I called Providence Mt’s State Recreation Area (760-928-2586) to get an update. The peaks are not closed. A “backcountry permit” is required to access the peaks if you’re starting from the visitor center. You can only get this permit in person at the visitor center. (There’s currently a $10/vehicle entrance fee as well.) There is a gate on the access road two miles down from the visitor center. It is only unlocked from 8 AM to 5 PM on the days they are open. So, you would have to enter at 8 AM, go to the visitor center and obtain your permit, then complete your hike by 5 PM. Otherwise, your vehicle would still be in their parking lot after closing time, and this would likely trigger a search-and-rescue operation. Accessing the peaks via routes that don’t begin at the visitor center is a “gray area.” There is a route (DPS Route D) on Mitchell Point that begins from the Bonanza King Mine and does not cross any of the State Park land. That is fine. But other routes to Mitchell do cross their land. And the summits of Edgar and Fountain Peaks, and the established routes on those peaks, are within their boundaries. I was told that “technically” you should have the permit to be anywhere in their backcountry. Even if you find a route up Fountain or Edgar from the west. But they are only really concerned with people who start from the visitor center. The backcountry permits are available during these days of Covid-19. Their trails are open, while caves and the cavern tour are closed. But beware, the rules and situation could change by late summer or fall. So, it would be best to call and discuss what you plan to do before heading out there. They are currently open on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and holiday Mondays.

Candace66

Candace66 - Apr 13, 2021 3:48 pm - Hasn't voted

I climbed Edgar Peak in compliance with their rules!

On November 15, 2020, I was able to climb Edgar Peak only in accordance with the regulations at that time. Which were the same as described in my post above, but they may have changed since. I used the old DPS A route, starting from the visitor center and proceeding cross-country to an unnamed canyon, which I followed up to the ridge. Then I turned right and traversed to the summit. I finished at 4:52 PM, with eight minutes to spare! So, it is possible.

minglefest

minglefest - Apr 12, 2022 12:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Edgar Peak

I climbed the peak yesterday. Three hours and fifteen minutes to the summit. Words can't express how wonderful the experience was. Starting from the visitor center parking lot is the most efficient way to bag it. Access is only possible at the moment from 8 am to 5 pm Friday through Sunday. You only have a nine hour window to get up and down. Staff talked about the gate being locked and cave tours stopping for two months during the summer. Remember to pay your day use fee inside the visitor center in order to obtain a back country permit.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

California Desert PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
Mojave National PreserveMountains & Rocks