Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.72700°N / 115.917°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7335 ft / 2236 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kingston Peak is highest point in the Kingston Mountains. Located in the Kingston Range Wilderness, this desert peak towers above the surrounding valleys in relative isolation, and is a key desert landmark. The upper slopes of the range are forested, and shelter a small stand of relic White Fir trees. Kingston Peak is located on BLM land.

Located far from major roads, and containing no tourist attractions, Kingston Peak sees few visitors. With a modest elevation of 7,335', it just isn't high enough to attract much attention. But the new field of Prominence has made Kingston Peak a more important mountain. With a prominence of 3,714', it's big enough to make an appearance on the California Prominence Map.

Getting There

From Interstate 15, take Exit 272. Drive north on the paved Kingston Road, which eventually turns into the dirt Excelsior Mine Road. Drive for about 28 miles until you reach the highpoint of the road at a 1,550-meter pass next to a large parking area with an abandoned mine. Park here. The roads are good to this point. This small pass is about a 1.5 miles past Tecopa Pass and Horse Thief Springs. From the parking area, high clearance vehicles can drive south on a rough dirt road an additional half mile or so to get closer to the mountain.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the BLM Field Offices in Barstow (760-252-6000) or Needles (760-326-7000) for the latest information.

Topo Maps: Kingston Peak; Horse Thief Springs.

Camping

Primitive camping is allowed in the area in accordance with BLM regulations. There are no developed campgrounds in the Kingston Mountains.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

California Desert PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
California Fifty FinestMountains & Rocks