Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.51000°N / 12.89000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8507 ft / 2593 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Geographical structure: Eastern Alps > Berchtesgaden Alps > Steinernes Meer > Grosser Hundstod

Grosser Hundstod is an impressive mountain in Austria/Upper Bavaria (the frontier runs directly over the summit - but this has normally no practical significance except that you need to have identification with you).

This summit rises over the wild and primordial plateau of Steinernes Meer ("ocean of stones"). Grosser Hundstod looms with 8505 ft/2593 m over most of the other summits in this part of the Berchtesgaden Alps and will be seen from all the surrounding valleys with its characteristic skyline - from north and south broad and sedate like the head of a dog (perhaps thus the strange name: "death of a dog"), from west (i.e. from the beautiful summit of Seehorn 7613 ft/ 2321 m) horny and elegant, also from east (i.e. Steinernes Meer).

The ascent is on the normal (southern) route (from the hut Ingolstaedter Haus) not difficult (some meters UIAA I) and well marked. Many people climb this beautiful summit, above all because of its fantastic view. Many of them spend several days traversing the Steinernes Meer, a highly recommended tour.
There are many other climbing possibilities, but all of them call for a certain intimacy with rock or effective scrambling skills. There are harder routes, too, but few climbers come to this mountain (perhaps because the approach is pretty far).

Hundstod is always a great and profitable undertaking, particularly in combination with the described traverse.
For a single ascent of Grosser Hundstod you must provide at least one day, better one and a half days with overnight stay in the Ingolstaedter Haus in 2119 m/6950 ft.

Getting There


You reach Ingolstaedter Haus as common initial point for an ascent of Grosser Hundstod from
a) Germany>Upper Bavaria>Berchtesgadener Land>Ramsau>Wimbachbruecke (very long but beautiful for good hikers)
and
b) Austria>Land Salzburg>Weissbach(>Puerzlbach) (near Lofer) or about 4 kms in direction Saalfelden direct from the B 311 (main road from Lofer to Saalfelden). Lofer you reach best from Salzburg via Bad Reichenhall (well marked).
c) You can transverse the Steinernes Meer from Riemannhaus or Kaerlingerhaus (2 huts in this touristical interesting region) in 3 - 4 hours (in each case).

a) Wimbachbruecke you can reach with car or bus from Berchtesgaden in 1/2 hour (see Watzmannpage). From there you hike about 5 - 6 hours on a well marked footpath through Wimbachtal, Wimbachgries, Trischuebelpass, Hundstodgatterl, Steinernes Meer to the hut.

b) The shortest ascent to Ingolstaedter Haus comes from Puerzelbach in Austria. If you come with car, you can drive from Weissbach bei Lofer a tight and steep road to some granges called Puerzelbach. There is a parking (1 oder 2 EUR). A stony street leads to the Kallbrunnalm and a well marked and scenic path further to Ingolstaedter Haus (3.5 - 4 hours).
From the hut you climb the summit in good one hour on a nice, marked footpath.

Beauties at the wayside


Hiking and climbing the Hundstod you can see a lot of beauties - not only mountains and summits ;-)
Have an open eye for those little and pretty things!

Red Tape


Grosser Hundstod is - like the whole Steinernes Meer - situated in the National Parc Berchtesgaden. There are no charges except parking and hut fee.

When To Climb


Grosser Hundstod is primarily a summer/autumn climb (June - October).
You can indeed ascend nearly in all other seasons, but snow make it often harder and in the summit region not without risk. You can reach the Ingolstaedter Haus in Winter too, it's a very alpine ski trekking for good and arduous skiers (better is late winter: February to April/May. Summit is reachable in winter only with best conditions.

Camping


Camping is forbidden in the whole National Parc! Please respect this rule.
You'll find some campingplaces in the region:

Berchtesgadener Land/Germany:

Camping Simonhof
D-83486 Ramsau
Tel. und Fax: +43 86 57-2 84

Campingplatz Allweglehen
D-83471 Berchtesgaden
Telefon: ++49 86 52-23 96
Fax: ++49 86 52-6 35 03

Campingplatz Winkl-Landthal
D-83483 Bischofswiesen
Tel.: ++49 86 52-81 64
Fax: ++49 86 52-97 98 31
E-Mail: Camping-Winkl@t-online.de

Camping Grafenlehen
D-83471 Schönau a. Königssee
Tel.: ++49 86 52-41 40
Fax: ++49 86 52-69 07 68
E-mail: Camping-Grafenlehen@t-online.de

Jugendherberge Berchtesgaden / Youth hostel
83489 Strub
Tel: ++49 8652/94370
Fax: ++49 8652/943737

Information to Lofer region (Austria):
www.lofer.net
(A lot of hotels, rooms and so on)

Camping Grubhof in St. Martin bei Lofer
A-5092 St. Martin/Lofer, Salzburg, Österreich
Tel: ++43 6588/8237-0
Fax: ++43 6588/8237-7
E-mail: park-grubhof@salzburg.co.at

Mountain Conditions


Here you can get a lot of information about the region (weather, snow conditions and so on):
www.snow-forecast.com.

A good mountains weather information (in german language) you'll find here:
ORF Bergwetterbericht
Lofer Wetter
Deutscher Alpenverein Bergwetterbericht.

Miscellaneous Info


Books, Guides
Alpenvereinsführer Berchtesgadener Alpen (in german language). You can get this all embracing guide for the Berchtesgaden Alps at www.amazon.com
ISBN is 3-7633-1127-0 (it coasts in Germany 22,90 EUR)

Maps:

Topographische Karte Nationalpark Berchtesgaden 1:25 000, 20m. Bayerisches Landesvermessungsamt

Österreichische Karte Nr:93 1:25 000, 20m. Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Berchtesgaden AlpsMountains & Rocks