Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.99100°N / 107.187°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10783 ft / 3287 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South Baldy Peak is the highpoint of the Magdalena Mountains. It is located in the Cibola National Forest. This tall and dominating mountain towers nearly 6,500' above the nearby city of Socorro. It can be seen for miles around, and is a major landmark in the area. The Magdalena Mountains are heavily forested, and have many fine trails and roads.
The Langmuir Laboratory for Atmospheric Research is located near the summit of South Baldy. The laboratory studies lightning, hail, rain, and other atmospheric phenomenon. A dirt road leads up to the laboratory, and comes to within 350' of the summit of South Baldy. With a prominence of 3,803', South Baldy Peak makes an impressice appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.


Getting There

From Socorro, drive west on US 60 for about 16 miles. Turn left at the signed road junction to Water Canyon. This is Forest Road 235. Drive four miles up the road to the Water Canyon Campground. This is the trailhead. You can also continue driving nearly all the way to the top.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Cibola National Forest, Magdalena Ranger District, for the latest information. Their number is 505-854-2381.

Forest Service Map: Cibola National Forest (Magdalena Ranger District).
Topo Maps: Magdalena; South Baldy; Water Canyon.

Camping

The Water Canyon Forest Service Campground is located at the trailhead.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
streeyyr

streeyyr - Jan 24, 2005 10:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. I made the addition.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jan 14, 2005 3:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

South Baldy Peak is the highpoint of Socorro County

streeyyr

streeyyr - Jan 24, 2005 10:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. I made the addition.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Magdalena MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
New Mexico 10k+ PeaksMountains & Rocks