Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.66500°N / 107.445°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10336 ft / 3150 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

West Blue Mountain is the highpoint of the San Mateo Mountains. This remote mountain rises high above the Cibola National Forest in central New Mexico. West Blue Mountain is a largely unknown mountain. It's a long ways off the beaten path, and few maps even mention its name. The summit of the heavily forested West Blue Mountain is difficult to identify among its neighbors. West Blue and the nearby 10,309' Blue Mountain are often confused with one another. Relatively few people visit this area. However, the reclusive West Blue Mountain makes a worthy goal for anyone willing to venture out into the wilderness. With a prominence of 3,136', West Blue Mountain is big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.


Getting There

The road to the West Blue trailhead is long but scenic. From the town of Truth or Consequences on I-25, take NM 52 north about 60 miles to the town of Winston. Continue north on NM 52 for about 20 miles to the signed road junction with Forest Road 478. NM 52 turns to gravel several miles north of Winston. Forest Road 478 goes up the scenic West Red Canyon. Drive northeast on Forest Road 478 for about 12 miles to the signed road junction with Forest Road 69. Turn right onto Forest Road 69, and drive a short distance to a locked gate. This is the trailhead.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Cibola National Forest, Magdalena Ranger District, for the latest information. Their number is 505-854-2381.

Forest Service Map: Cibola National Forest (Magdalena Ranger District).
Topo Map: Blue Mountain.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in the vicinity of West Blue Mountain.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

New Mexico 10k+ PeaksMountains & Rocks