Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.32400°N / 108.641°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10895 ft / 3321 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Whitewater Baldy is the highest mountain in southwestern New Mexico. It's located in the Gila National Forest and the Gila Wilderness Area. The heavily forested Whitewater Baldy is not bald - it's covered with trees. Despite its high elevation, Whitewater Baldy is not very impressive. It's really just a rounded hump that happens to be higher than everything else around it. Because of the extensive tree cover in this area, the winter snows often don't completely melt until July. Whitewater Baldy is located in the Mogollon Mountains. The new field of Prominence has made Whitewater Blady an important mountain. With a prominence of 3,535', it's big enough to make an impressive appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.



Getting There

From the town of Glenwood on US 180, drive north about five miles to NM 159. Turn right, and drive east on the paved road as it heads for the scenic Whitewater Canyon. The road soon narrows to one and a half lanes. Continue driving up the winding and narrow road until you reach the small town of Mogollon after nine miles. The road turns to dirt here. Continue driving east on the road through the thick forest for about nine more miles until you reach the marked Sandy Point parking area and trailhead. This road is closed in the winter and early spring.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Gila National Forest, Glenwood Ranger District, at 505-539-2481 for the latest information.

Forest Service Map: Gila National Forest.
Topo Map: Grouse Mountain.

Camping

You can camp at the Sandy Point trailhead, which has restroom facilities. There are also several Forest Service Campgrounds in the area.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Gila Wilderness AreaMountains & Rocks
 
New Mexico 10k+ PeaksMountains & Rocks