Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.00780°N / 106.384°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11561 ft / 3524 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Chicoma Mountain is the highest point in the Jemez Mountains. These mountains rise impressively above the west side of the Espanola Valley. The Jemez Mountains form the southern end of the Rocky Mountains. The central feature of the range is a large, circular bowl nearly 15 miles in diameter. Once regarded as the world's largest volcano that might have been 20,000' in elevation, the Valle Grande and several other nearby valleys are now believed to represent a caldera formed by the collapse of the volcano. Chicoma Mountain is located in the Santa Fe National Forest. With a prominence of 4,281', Chicoma Mountain ranks No.2 on the New Mexico Prominence List.



Getting There

From Espanola, drive north on US 84/285 to the outskirts of town, then turn left at the marked Forest Road 144. The road is paved at first, but turns to dirt a few miles in. Follow this long and winding dirt road about 25 miles or so until you are pretty much directly north of Chicoma Mountain. Park here at this approximate location.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Santa Fe National Forest, Espanola Ranger District, for the latest information. Their number is 505-753-7331.

Forest Service Map: Santa Fe National Forest.
Topo Maps: Polvadera Peak; Vallecitos.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in the vicinity of Chicoma Mountain.

External Links

Santa Fe National Forest

  • New Mexico Prominence Map

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1
    Garon Coriz

    Garon Coriz - Apr 14, 2005 2:44 am - Hasn't voted

    Untitled Comment

    You could also add that Chicoma Peak is a small fraction of the northeast slope of an extinct, collapsed volcano. The Jemez Mtns. used to part one mountain that rose at least 20,000 ft. above sea level around 1 million years ago. The mountain collapsed and sent rocks as big as houses 300-400 miles south. There used to be a crater lake surrounded by the Jemez Mtns. but the southwest part of the mountains ruptured, creating Jemez Canyon. If you follow the slope of Chicoma Peak you can imagine how large the old mountain used to be.

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1



  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

     
    New Mexico 10k+ PeaksMountains & Rocks