Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.06300°N / 111.461°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7903 ft / 2409 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

(All text by John Hamann (streeyyr))
Mazatzal Peak is the highest point in the Mazatzal Mountains. It is located in the Tonto National Forest, and the Mazatzal Wilderness Area. Other high peaks in the Mazatzals include the 7,657' Browns Peak, and the 7,128' Mount Ord. The term Mazatzal is derived from the Aztec Indian language meaning "an area inhabited by deer". No one knows for sure how the word reached Arizona, but somehow it did. There are several good trails in the Mazatzal Wilderness, but none reach the summit of Mazatzal Peak. With an elevation of 7,903', Mazatzal Peak ranks way down on the Arizona Elevation List. But the new field of Prominence has made Mazatzal Peak a more important mountain. With a prominence of 3,943', it's big enough to make an impressive appearance on the Arizona Prominence Map.

Getting There

From Payson, drive south on AZ Highway 87 for about twelve miles. Turn right (west) onto Forest Road 419, and drive about five miles to the Barnhardt Trailhead.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Tonto National Forest, Payson Ranger Station, at 928-474-7900 for the latest information. Forest Service Maps: Tonto National Forest; Mazatzal Wilderness. Topo Map: Mazatzal Peak.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds near Mazatzal Peak. However, there are several campgrounds near Payson.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.