Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.60500°N / 87.489°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1220 ft / 372 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hogback Mountain rises just to the north of Marquette, Michigan. It is one of the southernmost peaks in the remote Huron Mountain Range. Hogback offers one of the most difficult (in my opinion) hikes in Michigan. The peak rises 600 feet above the surrounding terrain but hikers will ascend much of that in the last 1/2 to 3/4 mile. This peak is unique in that its summit is mostly devoid of vegitation. Its as close to an alpine environment as you can get in Michigan. Even though Hogback is located only 10 minutes from a town of 20,000 you will rarely find a crowd at the summit. Most people wandering north out of Marquette stop at nearby Sugarloaf Mountain which offers boardwalks and steps to the summit. Odds are you'll have to talk to a local to give you directions to Hogback as you won't find it in any brochure. In fact, many locals won't even know how to get there. Thats the best part of Hogback Mountain, its solitude. From the rocky summit only a few buildings are distingushable to the south while to the north is a sea of forests and hills unbroken by even a single road.

Getting There

There are two trails that will get you to the summit of Hogback Mountain. They are both accessed from County Road 550 which runs north out of Marquette. Niether trail is named so I will refer to them as the South Trail and North Trail.

-The trailhead for the South Trail is located at the Wetmore Pond Parking Area, located about 5 miles north of Marquette, about 1/2 mile past Sugarloaf Mountain.
-The North Trail is a little harder to find. It starts from a small unmarked parking area, an old gravel pit, opposite the access road to Wetmore Landing. By way of either trail its a 2mile hike to the summit.

Red Tape

No red tape whatsoever, the peak is free to climb to whomever knows how to get there. The only difficulty you may find is that, in winter, the Wetmore Pond Parking Area is unplowed so you'll have to park along the side of County Road 550.

When To Climb

The mountain is accessible any time of the year. Bug season starts not long after the snow is gone (mid-April to mid-May) and lasts as late as the beginning of August. Once the snow flies again (November) snowshoes suited for steeper terrain are a must. Summer tends to see more hikers at the summit but in the 8 years I've been hiking this peak I've never shared the summit with more than half a dozen people.

Camping

Hogback Mountain is located in the Little Presque Isle Tract which is maintained by the DNR. Camping is prohibited in this area. There are a number of rustic cabins available to rent through the DNR at nearby Harlow Lake. A webpage by the DNR in the links section gives more info.

External Links


DWhike's Adventures - Shameless self promotion...come visit my website for more pics of Hogback Mountain and other places that I have wandered off to in recent years...


Test










Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
corsair

corsair - Sep 5, 2023 7:45 am - Hasn't voted

Wetmore Pond Parking area fee

As far as Red Tape goes, you now need a Michigan State Park parking pass to park in the Wetmore Pond parking lot to access the South trail.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Huron MountainsMountains & Rocks