Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.06500°N / 113.3558°W
Additional Information County: La Paz
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5242 ft / 1598 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Smith Peak is the highest point of the Harcuvar Mountains, which are located in northeast La Paz County, parallel to the Harquahala Mountains. The two ranges hem in the McMullen Valley and highway US-60, along with the small towns of Salome, Wenden and Aguila. Before Interstate-10 was completed in the 1980s, this highway was the major connector between Phoenix and Los Angeles. The towns linger in a state of arrested decay, a throwback to the old days of the mid-20th Century. They are popular with winter snowbirds, who live in giant RV "cities" strung out along this highway.

A number of communications towers are located on the summit, and a newer gravel road goes all the way to the top. With a beefy vehicle, one can drive most of the way to the summit - a gate blocks the road about a mile from Smith Peak. With a 2WD, the round trip is about 13 miles.  It's a good workout hike, and a good chance to have a whole mountain to yourself. This is a rarely-visited peak, given its remote location.

The range also features Harcuvar Peak, another highly-prominent mountain, located about a dozen miles west of Smith Peak's summit.

For list chasers, Smith Peak is a range highpoint as well as a highly prominent mountain, with 2,792 feet of prominence. The best times to hike are between October and April. Summer is very hot.  

There are a few other summits along this ridge.  The most prominent besides Smith Peak is Peak 4090 which is just 0.6 miles up and off the road, along with minor summits, Bullard BM 4,367' and Smith Peak East 4,922'.

Smith Peak from Smith Peak East
Smith Peak from Smith Peak East
 

 




Getting There



 

First, get to the town of Aguila. This tiny settlement (about 300 people) is located in extreme northwest Maricopa County along US-60, about 75 miles from Phoenix and 25 miles west of Wickenburg. If coming from the west, exit Interstate-10 at the Vicksburg Exit, go north to US-60, then drive another 40 miles to Aguila.

In Aguila, go north on Eagle Eye Road, the main dirt road north out of town. Go four miles to a T-intersection (now inside Yavapai County). Go left (west) and drive 3 miles to a turn off on the right leading towards some blackened mountains at the base of Harcuvar Range. 

The next couple of miles as you drive northwest demands a little care. You are driving through a gravel arroyo. As long as you keep a steady speed, you'll be fine. If you stop, there is a chance you may get stuck in the gravel. Small passenger vehicles are not advised. High clearance is preferred. Four-wheel drive is nice to have, but not a minimum requirement unless you plan to drive all the way to the top.  About 5 miles up, you pass Bullard Peak on your right.  There is a road leading to the right.  For 2WD, this is probably the best place to park and start your hike.  2WD can drive another bit up the road, but there aren't many pullouts.  The road gets much steeper as it climbs towards the ridge.

There is a pullout just below Peak 4090 at about 3,624'.  From here, Smith Peak is 4 1/2 miles up the road.  There is a locked gate about a mile from the summit.  Vehicles will park here on the side.  Hikers just walk around.  The photo below is about 4 1/4 miles from Smith Peak.

Hiking up the road with Bullard BM in view
Hiking up the road with Bullard BM in view



 


 

Mountain Conditions

Contact: BLM Field Office in Lake Havasu City for the latest information. Their number is 928-505-1200.   

Topographical Map: Smith Peak. Note: the newer road is not shown on this map. It shows the older road, which should be ignored.

Camping

You can camp in the desert flats below the peak. The land is mostly BLM. Leave no trace, as usual.

Aguila is a very small farming town with the most basic of stores. If you want a hotel, Wickenburg (about 25 miles east) has plenty.

The summit area of Smith Peak.The summit area of Smith Peak. (by streeyyr)



External Links

Harcuvar Mountains Wilderness AreaArizona Prominence MapTrip Report (www.surgent.net)

View north from just below the summit
View north from just below the summit


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.