Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.07940°N / 107.8439°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11236 ft / 3425 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Leon Peak is the highest Point in Mesa Couny, Colorado, though it is not the highest point on Grand Mesa (Crater Peak holds this distinction by 91 feet, and has 2,307' of prominence). Most visitors to the area are present for the fishing and camping opportunities, oblivious to Leon Peak or its county significance, much less what a county highpoint is. The initial hiking is easy, and gradually talus is dominated by larger boulders. Some really light scrambling is involved on the final slope. For additional perspective, see listsofjohn.com/Counties/COCounty/MESA.html. There is a relatively well-preserved early 20th century abandoned fire lookout on the summit. Frequent lightning strikes were said to have discouraged attendance.



Getting There

From I-70 exit 49, east of Grand Junction, head east 34 miles to FR 121. Head east 8 miles and east on FR126 3 miles to the Weir and Johnson Campground. Take the Leon Lake Trail 717 on foot which runs parallel to the west side of Weir and Johnson Reservoir.

Red Tape

Camping is not open except dates July 4 through September 8, and at other times parking at the end of the road without a fee is accepted.

When To Climb

Access is best from Late May to October depending on the snowfall. A lot of snow was still present on the trail in mid-June 2004, requiring gaiters.

Camping

Camping is available in several areas, including the Weir & Johnson campground which is near the trailhead. Campgrounds are open July 4 through September 8. $10 per day fee applies. See http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/rockymtn/gmsacmp.htm

Mountain Conditions

Contact the local forest ranger for conditions: 970-242-8211 or visit: www.forestcamping.com/dow/rockymtn/gmsainfo.htm

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Scott

Scott - Mar 24, 2005 4:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

GRAND MESA WEATHER FORECAST

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Sep 9, 2012 1:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Grand Mesa HP

John - isn't Huntsman Ridge the HP of the Grand Mesa?

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.