Dan's Rock on Dan's Mountain

Dan's Rock on Dan's Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.58170°N / 78.8977°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2898 ft / 883 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Dan s Rock overlook



Dan's Rock ranks among the best summits with expansive views in the state of Maryland. This highly popular summit has great views of the south and east and fair to moderate views of the north and west (partially covered by trees). This mountain is a real classic stopping point for many who visit this part of Western Maryland. The views from the summit include the Potomac River into West Virginia and long the parellel ridges of the Allegany Mountain.

Dan s Rock Revisited



The mountain's first name is named after Daniel Cresap. Daniel Cresap who was the son of a pioneer was famous for climbing a tree while going after a bear. According to the story the tree fell on the rock, making the name become Dan's Rock.

Picture of Dan s Mountain...



Dans Mountain represents the front section of the Allegany Plateau, which stretches through Pennslyvania and West Virginia and turns into the Cumberland Plateau to the south and the Pocanoes and Catskills up north.

Picture from Dan s Rock...



There is a summit road to the top of Dan's Rock leaving nothing but a 50 ft. vertical rocky scramble to the summit. Unfortunately there are no hiking trails outside of the short scramble to the top. However there is a section around the other side of the rock where some great bouldering can happen.

Fall Countryside



There are also a number of cell phone towers as well as closed fire tower on top of the summit. This summit though tends to be very polluted with tons of graffiti on the top. Still this summit make a great stopping point for good pictures of the Potomac River Valley. It should be noted that in the past five years there have been a number of road improvements and signage improvements to the rocks.

Picture from Dan s Rock...



Getting There

Dan s Rock Overlook Park sign



VIA TO SUMMIT ROCKS: Take I-68 to Frostburg, Maryland. Get off on Route 36 and head south. At about 4 miles you will see signs on the right for Dans Rock. take a left on Old Dan's Rock Road. Stay on the road until you see the summit parking area. You will see the graffiti on the rock and the many towers on the summit to direct you to the summit.

Dan s Rock Revisited

 

Red Tape

No fees. Parks is a day use only facility though.

When To Climb

Anytime. The mountain is a drive up. This peak might make a good snowshoe after a blizzard or heavy snowstorm!

Camping

There is no camping on the summit of Dan's Rock. The summit is very overcrowded by sometimes a rough crowd. If camping I would advise going up High Rock located about 15 miles to the west or for a organized campground, head to Rocky Gap State Park 15 miles to the east.

Mountain Conditions

The weather is very similiar to Frostburg, MD.

For more information on conditions at Dan's Rock, contact Dan's Mountain State Park at 301-722-1480.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

External Links

  • Dan's Rock
    Provides a detailed history of the name of the rock as well as the history of the mountain.
  • Dans Mountain State Park
    Another page with the history of Dan's Mountain as well as activities that can be done at the park.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mountains of MarylandMountains & Rocks
 
50 Highest in MarylandMountains & Rocks