Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.25000°N / 19.93330°E
Additional Information Elevation: 6214 ft / 1894 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Intro

Giewont(1894) - One of the most characteristic peaks of Tatra Mountains situated in their western part, north to the main Tatra range, on Polish side .

Giewont(1894) - Western TatrasGiewont from Kasprowy Wierch


A few kilometer long ,prominent, lime, rocky massif rises high above the town of Zakopane. It is the most distinctive peak in the area and it has been referred to as the "Sleeping Knight" based on its silhouette and old legend.

Giewont is a symbolic mountain and has a special place in Polish national spirit and identity.

It also one of the most popular mountain targets for hikers from the whole Poland, so don't be suprised when you find it horribly overcrowded, especially in summer season (July,August).

Massif offers great views and wonderful summit panorama in all directions.

It is unknown who was first to climb Giewont - most probably those were local shepherds in 17th or 18th century.
The first known and documented ascent was made by Franz Herbich in 1832.
First winter ascent: 3.01.1904 - Mariusz Zaruski with companions.

Giewont(1894)

Tooltip for IE: Giewont
Giewont from Krzeptowki


3 km long Giewont massif stretches from Kalatowki in the east to Dolina Malej Laki(Little Meadow Valley) in the west.

From eastern and southern side it is surrounded by Dolina Bystrej(Bystra's Valley) area with its upper section of Kondratowa Valley.

Western slopes of the massif fall to Malej Laki Valley.

From the north side there are two valleys of Bialego and Strazyska. Giewont rises above them 600 meter high vertical walls.

In long Giewont ridge, one can distinguish 3 main culminations.
These are from the west :
Maly Giewont(1728) (Little)
Wielki Giewont(1894) (Great)
Dlugi Giewont(1867) (Long)

Peaks of Wielki Giewont and Dlugi Giewont are divided by deep Szczerba pass(1823).

The whole Giewont massif is build of lime and dolomite rocks.


Getting There

First of all You need to get to the town of Zakopane.
The bus ride from Cracow takes only 2 hours - there are lots of bus lines, the most popular ones are PKS, "Szwagropol" and "Trans Frej").
All of them start their courses at Cracow's Central Railway/Bus station where you can also choose train connection but it will take you much more time - about 3,5 hours and the difference in costs is none.
As far as costs are concerned - nowadays you have to pay 20 zlotys (4,5 Euro) for single, one way ticket.

Cracow - Zakopane distance is 98 km.

Cracow Airport

PKS Cracow – Zakopane bus departures

PKP - Polish Railways connection search

PKS Zakopane - buses

-------------------

There are several ways to climb Giewont from Zakopane.

The most popular and the easiest one leads from Kuznice ( a few km walk from the centre of Zakopane or take one of hundreds of buses) to Hala Kondratowa and then to Kondratowa Pass(1772) from which the main peak of Giewont is very close - (blue marks ,3 hours max)

You can walk straight there from the town. At the end of Kasprusie street, you can follow the red trail through Strazyska valley. It is about a three hour hike all in all, culminating in a difficult rocky stretch at the end.

Another marked route of extreme beauty leads from Dolina Malej Laki (Malej Laki Valley) through wonderful meadows just under huge lime cliffs of Wielka Turnia to Kondracka Pass (Yellow marks ,3-3,5 hours)

Alternatively you could take the cable-car from Kuznice to Kasprowy Wierch peak. From there you can follow red trail over the peaks of Czuba Goryczkowa(1912) , Kopa Kondracka(2005) all the way to Giewont itself. This is quite a big hike, taking some ten hours or so.


Marked Routes Overview

Marked routes of Giewont area :

Kuznice(1010) - Polana Kalatowki(1198) - Hala Kondratowa(1335) - Kondracka Pass(1725) - Giewont(1894) .

Blue marks ,6 km ,900 meters of height difference ,2 3/4 h

Zakopane - Strazyska Valley(900) - Pol.Strazyska(1000-1060) - Grzybowiec ridge(ca.1470) - Kondracka Wyznia Pass(1765) - Giewont(1894) .

Red marks ,9 km ,1060 meters of HD ,3 1/2 h

Gronik PKS bus stop (4 km from Zakopane) - Mala Laka Valley - Wielka Polana(1150-1190) - Swistowka(1450-1570) - Kondracka Pass(1725) -
- Giewont(1894) .

Yellow (and blue over Kondracka Pass) marks ,6.5 km ,970 m of HD ,3 h

Kondracka Pass(1725) - Kopa Kondracka Peak(2005) in Czerwone Wierchy ridge .

Yellow marks ,1.5 km ,3/4 h

Kuznice - Kalatowki - Bialego Pass(1306) - Bialego Valley - Czerwona Pass(1301) - (10 minutes to Sarnia Skala's summit(1377) - Pol.Strazyska -
- W Grzybowcu Pass(1311) - Mala Laka Valley - Przyslop Mietusi Pass(1189) - Mietusia Valley - Koscieliska Valley .

Black marks (so called "Sciezka Nad Reglami" (Path over Regle)) ,10 km ,3 1/2 h

Zakopane - Bialego Valley (White Valley) - Crossing with black marked "Sciezka nad Reglami" route .

Yellow marks ,5 km ,340 m of HD

Zakopane - Ku Dziurze Valley (To the Hole Valley) - Dziura Cave(1020) (Hole) .

Black marks ,3 km ,180 m of HD ,3/4 h

Kuznice - Nosal Peak(1206)

Green marks ,1.7 km ,270 m of HD ,3/4 h

Giewont Area - Map

Tooltip for IE: Giewont

Tatrzanski Park Narodowy (Polish Tatra National Park) map, in scale 1:25 000, description in 8 languages, ISBN 83-87873-37-3, available in all shops and book stores in Zakopane . Here you can check the net version

Tatra Maps (English version)

When To Climb

You can climb (hike) all year. However, the best time of year to climb is from September through October when the Tatras around Zakopane characteristically have sunny weather. The summers are prone to rain and thunder storms and what also important for all those who love silence and calm in the mountains - the area is usually overcrowded during summer season (July,August).

In winter you will need good equipment including snow shows or crampons.

Watch out for alpine climbing restrictions of Tatra National Park(TPN)!



Red Tape

You can climb (hike) all year round.

The marked route (its upper section) leading from Grzybowiec to Kondracka Wyznia Pass just under the main summit of Giewont is usually closed for winter season due to serious avalanche danger on traverses.

There are National Park restrictions for alpine climbing.
Unfortunately great 600 meter high north wall is officially closed for alpine climbing.

TOPR - Tatra Volunteer Rescue

Camping

There are many possibilities to stay overnight in Zakopane.

If You want to sleep closer to the mountains, you can choose one of the mountain shelters or hotels, for example little mountain shelter at Hala Kondratowa(1333) close to the main marked route to Giewont or quite expensive but surely very comfortable (Kalatowki mountain hotel)

The Legend of Boleslaw and his Knights

When King Boleslaw died (11th century), Poland lost a very able and brave ruler, one who had united her and made her into a really great and powerful country. But is Boleslaw lost to Poland?, Some say no, for all those there is a legend about Boleslaw and his Knights.
They say that Boleslaw, and his Knights who fought with him for the country ,a great warrior who earned the title of the Brave(Chrobry) by trashing Poland's enemies went into a mountain called Giewont. This mountain forms part of the Tatra mountain range, and its shape, as seen from a certain angle looks like a body of a sleeping Knight.
Within the mountain there is a huge dark cavern where King Boleslaw and his Knights sleeps. They are mounted on horses, with their swords beside them and lances couched. And if Poland needs them in the time of great danger then some one must awake them, and they will ride forward to serve her.
But once they have gone forward, they will never return.


  • It's just one and very short of many versions of the Sleeping Knights legend


  • Useful POL-ENG Mountain Vocabulary

    gora - mountain
    szczyt - peak ,summit
    wierch - peak
    wierzcholek - top ,summit
    turnia - crag
    przelecz - pass
    gran - ridge
    grzbiet - range
    filar - pillar
    zebro - rib
    n.p.m. - above sea level
    sciana - wall
    zleb - gully ,couloir
    urwisko ,przepasc - cliff ,precipice
    morena - moraine
    skala - rock
    piarg - scree
    kamien ,glaz ,wanta - stone
    dolina - valley
    wawoz ,przelom - gorge
    staw ,jezioro - lake
    polana - meadow ,alp ,glade
    schronisko - chalet ,refuge
    schron ,szalas - shelter
    deszcz - rain
    snieg - snow
    lawina - avalanche
    taternik - Tatra climber
    raki - crampons
    czekan - ice axe
    lina - rope
    kask - helmet
    narty - skis
    namiot - tent

    ...

    John Paul II (1920-2005)

    Benedicite Montes Dominum !

    Giewont Peak photo_id=146679

    "I love these mountains; up here one breathes with the pure mountain air the mysterious invitation to faith and conversion."

    --Vacationing in the Italian Alps, 1990.

    Majesty of the Mountains
    In front of the majesty of the mountains we are pushed to establish a more respectful relationship with nature....At the same time...we are stimulated to meditate upon the gravity of so many desecrations of nature, often carried out with inadmissible nonchalance.

    --Lorenzago Dicardore, Italy, discussing hiking in the Dolomite Mountains, July 15, 1996

    Rest in the Mountains
    Every time that I have the opportunity to rest in the mountains and contemplate these landscapes, I thank God for the majestic beauty of creation. I thank him for his own Beauty, of which the universe is a reflection, capable of fascinating attentive souls, urging them to praise its greatness.

    --Message to Benedictines for 1500th Anniversary, July 11, 1999

    I thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to spend a time of rest again this year in this charming mountainous locality, which brings to mind the majestic presence of God.

    --Angelus Message, July 16, 2000




    HE loved mountains ...

    External Links

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-8 of 8
    Tomek Lodowy

    Tomek Lodowy - Mar 12, 2005 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

    Untitled Comment

    Hi People ...Giewont is a SYMBOL and needs serious treating and describing in a page of high quality !

    Tomek Lodowy

    Tomek Lodowy - Mar 13, 2005 3:16 pm - Hasn't voted

    Untitled Comment

    OK , I will adopt the page willingly in about week or
    a few days more time (I would adopt Koscielec too) Unfortuantely I am horribly busy now and just not able to find some time for building pages .

    Regards

    Tomek

    hgrapid

    hgrapid - Mar 12, 2005 1:07 pm - Voted 10/10

    Untitled Comment

    There are several ways to access it, and you can in fact walk straight there from the town. At the end of Kasprusie street, you can follow the red trail through the Strazyska valley. It is about a three hour hike all in all, culminating in a difficult rocky stretch at the end.

    Alternatively you could take the cable-car from Kuznice to Mount Kasprowy Wierch. From there you can follow a red trail over the peaks of Kopa Kondracka all the way to Giewont itself. This is a big hike, involving some ten hours or so.

    A final route to the Sleeping Knight takes you through the Malej Waki (the Little Valley)

    *Please describe how you get there from a major city in Poland.

    robert72w

    robert72w - Mar 12, 2005 1:26 pm - Hasn't voted

    Untitled Comment

    Giewont is the well-known summit in Poland.
    In good weather very beautiful chance for Zakopane and environment. The north side of the summit is 300 meters a steep wound. In the summer very much people on the way

    robert72w

    robert72w - Mar 12, 2005 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

    Untitled Comment

    One has to stay overnight to very much possibilities in Zakopane. I recommend overnight accomodation: www.azakpoane.pl

    Tomek Lodowy

    Tomek Lodowy - Mar 12, 2005 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

    Untitled Comment

    Hi People ...Giewont is a SYMBOL and needs serious treating and describing in a page of high quality !

    Tomek Lodowy

    Tomek Lodowy - Mar 13, 2005 3:16 pm - Hasn't voted

    Untitled Comment

    OK , I will adopt the page willingly in about week or
    a few days more time (I would adopt Koscielec too) Unfortuantely I am horribly busy now and just not able to find some time for building pages .

    Regards

    Tomek

    oliverd - Nov 23, 2018 10:58 pm - Hasn't voted

    Giewont and Kasprowsky Wierch

    Enjoyed the hike to Giemont - was on a week-day in October, so not too busy. Hiked up from Kuźnice, then continued up to Kopa Kondracka and across to Kasprowy Wierch. Took the cable-car back down from. Would highly recommend this as a day-walk - allow 6-8 hours. https://hikingtheworld.blog/2018/10/08/giewont-and-kasprowsky-wierch/

    Viewing: 1-8 of 8



    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.