Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51370°N / 71.2874°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1786 ft / 544 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mt. Major in Alton, New Hampshire has been a hiking destination in central New Hamphire for generations. This summit has some of the best views in the lakes region. At the summit lies classic shots of Lake Winnepausaukee that cannot not be beat. Though the mountain is not even 2000 feet, the summit has no trees on top making for 360 degree panorama.

There are three trails to the top. The Brook Trail (Class 1) is very gradual trail and is 2.3 miles one way with 1100 foot elevation gain. This is the least used of the trails. The Main Trail (1.7 miles, 1100 foot elevation gain) is an easy class 1 trail for most of the way until nearing the top where the trail become steep scrambling and goes up to class 2 with some steep pitches, and steep dropoffs. It is very popular though, especially in summer. In winter this section has a seperate winter ascent section due to the very steep finally of the trail. The Boulder Trail (1.7 miles and 1100 foot elevation gain, is a mostly class 1 trail with one steep pitch before entering the Mt. Major's flat topped summit area.

Combining the Boulder Trail and the Main Trail would make an incredible loop on Mt. Major.

Getting There


VIA BROOK, BOULDER AND MAIN TRAILHEADS: The trailhead is easy to reach off of Route 11 THere is a sign of the side of Route 11 pointing to the trailhead. Route 11 is a two-lane highway between Alton and Laconia. Mt. Major is five miles north of Alton and fifteen south of from Laconia.

Red Tape


As of March 17th, 2005, it is still free. Yeah!!!!!

When To Climb


The mountain can be summited at any time. Be advised in winter though that the mountain is steep and truely does become a Class 2 on the Main Trail with no trees to catch your fall for at least a hundred feet. Crampons are necessity in winter, and though you will look foolish, an ice axe isn't to bad idea if you are planning on taking the Main Trail. The other trails you will be fine with just hiking poles and crampons.

Camping


I did not see a sign for no camping on my travels and have seen people camp on it. However this mountain is very popular and I wouldn't advise camping. It also can be completed in a half-day.

Mountain Conditions


Wether is similiar to that of Laconia. However you might want to add 15 miles per in wind and subtract five degrees in winter. Keep in mind that the summit is exposed so you will feel all power of the wind and the tempurature.

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions on Mt. Major.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Mt. Major Summiteers Log



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
vleuchter

vleuchter - Aug 22, 2005 8:24 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I arrived at the summit in the summer of 2003. I ascended up the Main Trail and descended down the Boulder Trail. It was a beautiful day. The bugs were intense during the first few hundred feet. There was an extremely steep part of the climb. I held onto a tree growing out of a boulder to get to the next level. Don't look down! When we reached the summit, there was a rock foundation formation. The kids enjoyed resting in it while eating a few sandwiches.

Wonderful short climb...breathtaking views.

The descending trail was mostly rock and steeper than the ascending trail. As always the descent was quicker than the climb up!

Happy Climbing!

LiamCrotty

LiamCrotty - Aug 31, 2019 8:25 am - Voted 10/10

Great hike up Mount Major!

On July 2nd, a group of us hiked to the top of Mount Major in New Hampshire's Lakes Region. Hiking group included: my brothers Sean Crotty, Brendan Crotty, my two nephews and friends Marc Zdunczyk & Jeff Zdunczyk. We had done this hike once before in 2006. And both times we were blessed with amazing views of Lake Winnipesaukee from the summit. We hiked the orange trail up and back for a total combined distance of 3.2 miles and an elevation gain of 1,148 feet. It took us 1 hour 52 minutes going up and 1 hour 15 minutes coming down. We hiked very slowly enjoying the scenery and taking frequent breaks This is a great hike for all athletic abilities. My 8 year old nephew breezed up this without breaking a sweat. I made a fun little video of the hike here: https://youtu.be/sNJ3OA9RGc8 Let me know what you think! Liam

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

NH Lakes RegionMountains & Rocks