Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.43300°N / 111.147°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6422 ft / 1957 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Atascosa Peak is the highpoint of the Atascosa Mountains. This small mountain is located about 13 miles northwest of Nogales, and about five miles north of the Mexican border. The Atascosa Mountains are located within the Coronado National Forest. With a modest elevation of 6,422', Atascosa Peak is often overlooked. But Atascosa Peak does have one claim to fame: It is a member of the famed Coronado 12. A Coronado 12 peak is the highest peak in each of the twelve divisions of the Coronado National Forest.

Getting There

From Nogales, AZ, drive north on I-19 for eight miles. Exit the interstate, and start driving west on the paved AZ 289. After nine miles, the pavement ends at the Pena Blanca Lake Recreation Area. Continue west on the good Forest Road 39 another six miles to the trailhead parking area on the south side of the road. The parking area is not marked, but the trailhead is.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Nogales Ranger District at 520-281-2286 for the latest conditions.

Forest Service Map: Coronado National Forest (Nogales and Sierra Vista Ranger Districts).
Topo Map: Ruby.

Camping

Good Forest Service campgrounds are located at the Pena Blanca Lake Recreation Area, and the Calabasas Campground , which is located just east of the recreation area on AZ 289.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.