Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.84000°N / 98.8°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2481 ft / 756 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

CAUTION! NO TRESPASSING! Haley Peak is located entirely on private property. Permission should be granted from local landowner before any attempt to climb this mountain. Haley Peak (officially unnamed), is located on private property about 3/4 mile just outside the northwest corner of the Wichita Mountain National Wildlife Refuge near Lawton OK (4 miles east-southeast of Cooperton, OK). Locals call this particular mountain range the "AX" mountains. From the west you can see the outline of trees on the side of the mountain which look like the letters "AX". There seems to be some dispute as to which mountain is the highest in the Wichita Mountain range. Certain Refuge maps indicate that Mt Pinchot is the highest at 2479 ft while the USGS maps (topozone.com) indicate Mt Pinchot to be 2461 ft. If Mt Pinchot is 2461 ft, then Mt Scott is the highest mountain in the Refuge at 2464 ft while Haley Peak is the highest mountain in the Wichita range (outside the refuge). More recently, Refuge authorities have indicated that Mt Pinchot is the highest point within the park boundary at 2479 ft. According to information I received from [records stored at USGS/NSDI Standards Team/NGTOC III/Mid-Continent Mapping Center/Rolla MO], the highest peak in the Wichita Mountain Range (including areas outside the refuge) is Haley Peak, at 2,481 ft (756 m). The best view of Haley Peak is from a county road along the western edge of the mountain. Another good view is from Highway 54 about 3 miles south of Cooperton OK. At this location on Rt 54 is a historical marker regarding the Cutthroat Gap Massacre which occurred in the gap between Haley Peak and Baker Peak just to the south. On a clear day, Haley Peak and Bear Peak (all a part of the same mountain) are visible from the parking lot on top of Mt Scott, which is approximately 14 miles to the ESE of Haley Peak. Haley peak can also be seen from Quartz Mt State Park further to the west.

Getting There

The best view of Haley Peak is from a county road along the western edge of the mountain. Another good view is from Highway 54 about 3 miles south of Cooperton OK. At this location on Rt 54 is a historical marker regarding the Cutthroat Gap Massacre which occurred in the gap between Haley Peak and Baker Peak to the south.

Red Tape

CAUTION! HALEY PEAK IS LOCATED ON PRIVATE PROPERTY! Due to respect and privacy concerns, Please check with property owners before trying to access this mountain.  Jack Haley, the land owner when I first had access to the property, passed away a few years ago.  I have no new information regarding current owners/occupants of the property.

Camping Nearby:

The Doris Campground ... Located off Rt 49 in the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge near the Visitor Center. Take Rt 54 south from Cooperton OK to Rt 49 east into the WMWR. It is about 18 miles from Cooperton to the Doris Campground. Great Plains State Park ... Located two miles north of Mountain Park OK and about 14 miles from Cooperton. Features 487 park acres on 6400 acre Tom Steed Lake with 70 campsites, nature, hiking and biking trails. From Cooperton, take Rt 54 south about 1/4 mile to Rt 19 west. Follow Rt 19 to Roosevelt Ok and then US 183 south until you reach Great Plains State Park.

Additional Information - Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge

For more information about the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge please refer to this link: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Route 1, Box 448, Indiahoma, OK 73552 (580) 429-3222