Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 29.25510°N / 103.2908°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7415 ft / 2260 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Toll Mountain is in the heart of the Chisos Basin. Toll Mountain lies between Casa Grande and Emory Peak, creating the eastern wall around the Chisos Basin. At a height of 7415 feet it is the 3rd highest point in the park. It is named after Roger Toll, the person most responsible for helping found Big Bend NP. This mountain has no trails to the summit , however there is a campsite below it that gives good access and from there it is an easy bushwhack.

Getting There


From the Persimmon Gap visitor center on 385 go 27 miles south and then turn right on 118, after three miles turn left on the road to the Chisos Basin which goes through Green Gulch. The Basin is about 7 miles. Park at the visitor center. The trailhead is on the south end of the visitor center. Take the Pinnacles trail to the Toll Mountain campsite then bushwhack to the north. The Toll Mountain campsite is in close proximity to the Emory Peak trailhead where energetic people could do Emory Peak as well. The overall altitude gain is about 2,000 feet. The total distance from the Baisin trailhead is about 8 miles.

Red Tape


Back Country Permits are required for any back country camping. A $15 entrance fee is required for entrance to the park.

When To Climb


All year is fine. Spring is windy, summer is hot but the Chisos stay pretty mild.

Camping


Camping is available in the Chisos Basin or directly below the mountain at the Toll Mountain campsite. There are several other back country campsites that are in the vicinity.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Big Bend National ParkMountains & Rocks