Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.28700°N / 115.621°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10319 ft / 3145 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

At 10,319 feet, Fletcher Peak is the 6th highest mountain in southern Nevada. Part of the Spring Mountains, Fletcher Peak is easily overshadowed by its immediate neighbor, the higher and much more impressive Mummy Mountain.

Though Fletcher may not have the obvious mass and interesting topography of its neighbor, many worthwhile routes to the summit exist. The easiest route approaches via the North Loop Trail then follows a use trail cross-country a short distance over class 2 terrain to the summit.

As might be expected, considering that Fletcher Peak is one of the five peaks surrounding Kyle Canyon, the others being Mummy Mountain, Charleston Peak, Griffith Peak, and Harris Mountain, the summit views are impressive.

Though I haven't done it in winter, I'm told that Fletcher Peak also makes a fine, and relatively safe, snow climb. Also, for those not interested or lacking the time to tackle the summit, the lower parts of the mountain have many nice, small canyons that can be explored. Some of these canyons contain small caves.

*You might also check out a fledgling outdoor site (www.backcountry-explorer.com), which provides access to trip reports, beta, photos and other stuff covering hiking, scrambling, climbing and canyoneering around Las Vegas. A new hiking and scrambling guidebook, Rambles & Scrambles: The Definitive Guide to Peakbagging Around Las Vegas, is now available.



Map of the Fletcher Peak...

Getting There

Fletcher Peak is typically accessed from Kyle Canyon.

Kyle Canyon to Trail Canyon: From Las Vegas, take highway 95 (north) to the Kyle Canyon turn-off (highway 157). Turn left (northwest) and follow the road for maybe 10-12 miles into the small community of Mt. Charleston. En route, you will pass through the desert scrub lands of the lower part of Kyle Canyon, into the Joshua tree lands of the middle section (be sure to check out the La Madre Peak scar to the south), then into the pinon/juniper woodlands of the upper middle portion, and ultimately to the ponderosa forests of the upper canyon. Once into the community, you will pass the Kyle Canyon Ranger Station on the left, some homes, a school, a library, and then further, a fire station on the right. Just past the fire station, where the main road starts to bend to the left, a smaller road branches off straight ahead. Follow the smaller road. From there, travel another half mile or so as the road bends to the right, and just before it bends again at a sharp right in the road and starts ascending steeply, you will see a USFS sign and some parking spaces on the left. Park there. This is the Trail Canyon trailhead. Trail Canyon will ultimately lead you to a junction with the North Loop Trail. (Note: About halfway along this smaller road, just as it first bends to the right, a dirt road feeds off to the left. From this road, you can access Mary Jane Falls, Big Falls, Little Falls, and what some argue is evidence of past glacial activity in the Spring Mountains - an apparent moraine).

Kyle Canyon to Deer Creek Road (highway 158): Follow the directions above to access Kyle Canyon. About a mile before the ranger station, you will come to an obvious paved road (Deer Creek Road) heading off and upward to the right (east/northeast). You will recognize it because it's the only one of its kind - an obvious paved road heading off and upward to the right, I mean. Follow the road for a few miles as it winds up and around the lower flanks of Fletcher Peak. As you will see, lower Fletcher Peak is indeed interestingly complex and impressive. Along the way, you will pass a couple of turn-outs with cool things to check out, but ultimately you are looking for a turn-out (obvious, but not super-obvious) on the left just past the signed Hilltop Campground, which is on the right. If you look carefully, just to the north of the turn-out (good for about 6-8 cars), you will see a sign marking the trailhead for the North Loop Trail.

Red Tape

No permits, fees or passes are required to park or to climb the mountain.

The mountain is open and accessible year round.

Much of the mountain is comprised of wilderness, so please, respect the land.

When To Climb

Although generally climbed in the summer and fall months, Fletcher Peak can be climbed any time of year. During snow months, ice axe and crampons are not generally needed, but snowshoes are. If you have doubts, it's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed without a permit and without cost. Obviously, practice minimum impact camping and travel.

Fires are not allowed, and the collection of bristlecone wood is prohibited.

There are many developed campgrounds in the Mt. Charleston area.

Mountain Conditions

I am not aware of any webcams in the Mt. Charleston area, but if you want an idea of what current conditions are like, try contacting the USFS at 702-515-5400.

As is typical with the higher mountains, expect frequent afternoon thunderstorms in the summer. Also, expect snow from around mid-October until early June.

Maps

Map of the Fletcher Peak...

Summit Portraits

User Profile Image


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.