Monte Forcellone

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.64280°N / 13.94720°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6660 ft / 2030 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Forcellone is not a high mountain, nevertheless it belongs to the set of peaks over 2000 meters of Appennino Centrale (2030 meters). Forcellone (or Monte Frosilone or, also, Monte di san Biagio Saracinesco, like the name of a little village close to the mountain) is located within the group of the so-called Mainarde, which is part of the larger group of the Monti Marsicani. The sub-group Mainarde represents the South-East limit of the Parco Nazionale d’Abruzzo, Lazio e Molise, and, basically, it is located at the West side of the sub-group.
The W-ridge of Monte...NW side of Monte Forcellone
The winter routes on the...Winter routes overview
It appears as an imposing calcareous mountain so that it could remember from some point of view typical dolomitic landscape. Mainly in winter, its look is really promising for the climbers. It is generally not considered a hard mountain, both in summer and in winter.
In summer the main trail runs from Prati di Mezzo (1430 m) taking on your right the N-side of Forcellone, turning around the summit and ascending it from E.
Some winter routes on the N side could be very interesting and not banal. Ski-tours are possible in winter and early spring on different sides of the Forcellone
From the summit the view is towards some peaks such as Monte Meta,(2241 m), Monte Mare (2020 m) Metuccia (2105 m), Monte Cavallo (2039 m) at the same height and farther away towards others mountain of the National Park.
Complete panoramic view from the summit of Monte Forcellone.

Many thanks to Toni Pistilli, friend of mine, for some photos made in a sunny day spent together on the Monte Forcellone.

Getting There

The starting points are:
- Prato di Mezzo (1430 m);
- the village of Liscia (892 m);
- the village of San Biagio Saracinesco (836 m).

From Rome: The fastest way to the starting points is the Highway A1-Roma/Napoli. Exit at Frosinone (about 70 km), then proceeding to Sora (36 km). From Sora follow the indications to Atina-San Biagio Saracinesco (road SS n°627, about 40 km). If you start from Prati di Mezzo, before arriving at Atina turn left up to Picinisco (12 km), Fontitune and, after few bents, arrive at Prato di Mezzo (13 km).

Red Tape

No fees and parking pass are required. You are in a National Park and you have to respect the specific rules stated for the protection of the environment.

When To Climb

Forcellone is an interesting mountain to be ascended in advanced spring so that you can appreciate the wounderful landscape of the Mainarde group and, at the same time, the flora and fauna of the National Park. In this area is easy to find water and many wells are even at high altitude (Forestella wells, 1600 m; Fonte Fredda, 1700 m).
Lights and shadows - March...
As you need to pass through a long plateau, in case of rain it is very probable to walk in a quagmire. No refuges or bivouacs are along the trail.
In winter the N-side offers few amusing routes, starting from Prato di Mezzo, as well as ski-lovers could find interesting routes.

Camping

Two refuges are in the area at the starting point.
- Rifugio Prati di Mezzo (1430 meters), 13 km far from the village of Picinisco.
- Rifugio del Baraccone (1408 meters), close to the Rifugio Prati di Mezzo .

Mountain Conditions

An international reference can be the AccuWeather, web site.

In addition, a useful site could be the Aeronautica Militare-Servizio Meteorologico web site (In Italian).

Book

- C. Landi Vittorj, "Guida dei Monti d'Italia – Appennino Centrale, Volume 1" Club Alpino Italiano / Touring Club Italiano, 1989 (in Italian) – ISBN 88-365-0366-7;
- M.Zampetti, E. Zampetti, G. Zampetti, "Lazio Sud - Le più belle escursioni", SER Società Editrice Ricerche, 2004 (in Italian) - ISBN 88-86610-25-4