Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.79050°N / 104.9312°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9478 ft / 2889 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kineo Mountain is in Pike National Forest just west of Colorado Springs and rises above Jones Park to the west. It stands out as an imposing sentinel over North Cheyenne Canon to the south and Bear Creek Canyon to the north. The lack of a trail to the summit results in relatively few summit attempts.

One of the finest views in the Colorado Springs area, particularly of North Cheyenne Canon, can be seen from rock outcroppings on the south side of the summit. A bonus view is a rock formation in this area I've decided to call "The Old Man of the Mountain West" in honor of his fallen companion in New Hampshire.

Getting There

Take US Highway 24 West, also known as Cimarron Street, to 8th Street. Go south on 8th Street. Turn right on Cheyenne Boulevard. Continue staight at Cresta Road. When you come to a fork in the road, take the right fork, which is North Cheyenne Canyon Road. The left fork goes to Seven Falls. Follow the road past Helen Hunt Falls and continue up switchbacks until you reach the end of the paved roadway. There is a large gravel parking lot on the left. Park here.

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required. Dogs should be leashed as this is a City Park. Be sure to observe park hours which are posted as you enter the park. A large portion of the route and Kineo Mountain itself is in Pike National Forest.

When To Climb

This mountain is climbable throughout most of the year with exception of the more extreme winter months. Expect to encounter fairly deep snow during winter and early spring, particularly on some of the off-trail portions. Portions of Class 2 scrambling and snow make the actual peak a real adventure during winter and early spring. Bring a map and compass or GPS. Gaitors would also be helpful for snow.

Camping

No camping is allowed in North Cheyenne Canon Park. Camping is allowed in Pike National Forest. The saddle west of Kineo Mountain and Jones Park offer some relatively flat terrain. Be sure to follow National Forest camping guidelines.

Mountain Conditions

The following information can be found on the Mt. Cutler page:

Check Colorado Springs weather at: Colorado Springs weather

Miscellaneous Info

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Nov 16, 2010 5:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Kineo Mountain

The official name is Kineo Mountain.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.