Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 18.12497°S / 69.12735°W
Additional Information Elevation: 20610 ft / 6282 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pomerape is a conic volcano on the border of Bolivia and Chile. Together with its slightly higher twin-sister Parinacota, they are called las Payachates (twins in Aymara native language). These volcanoes are quite easy to climb and best accessible from the beautiful Parque Nacional Sajama.

Getting There

Get to sajama village from la Paz via route going to Arica (Chile). Busses leave from terminal terestre qyuite a few times a day (40 to 50 Bolivianos - 7-8$ or so per person). The bus will drop you off at the paved road on crossroad with unpaved road to sajama village beneath Sajama peak - the highest mountain in Bolivia 6542 m. (app. 10 km away) at altitude of 4300 m. get to village, register with national Park administration. From the village, dirtroads head towards the volcanos in the west direction. head to the col between the two volcanoes, Pomerape is the one on the right side. You can also buy a 4x4 ride that will cost you some 70$ or a donkey with arriero for 70 Bolivianos. The car can take you up to 4750m. The col is at 5200. you can not find much ewter except from snow mixed up with volcanic ashes so take much with you.

From the col, head up north via a broad culoir and then traverse to the left over a rocky ridge to et to the culoir that will lead you to the SE summit (6232 m.). From here, you can get to the main summit. This route is more technical with parts up to 55 or 60 degrees and some seracs in the upper section.

There is also an easy route to the eastern summit (6282 m.) with huge glacial plateau. You can get there from NE of the mountain by a snow covered ramp. the park rangers can give you directions

Red Tape

Only Park entrance fee is required . you must register your climb with park rangers for your own safety, no fees.

When To Climb

the best time to climb is end of april through November, perhaps december. Best snow conditions with no or low penitentes are during may to July period.

Camping

you can camp anywhere. the lower sections are covered by volcanic ash. even though it is soft to slkeep on, you will find you have it everywhere afetr couple of nights:-)

Mountain Conditions

contact the Perque Nacional de Sajama rangers, phone number can surelly be found on the internet or contact any local climbing agency from La Paz for help.

external links

We have skied down this mountain via S face in 2004 and visited this region during 2006 expedition, too. here are spome links with couple of pictures:



2004 Pomerape ski descent some info on ascent via S face and ski descent in 2004

2006 ski descent and ascent of Parinacota with useful info on Pomerape


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
tatraman

tatraman - Apr 20, 2005 4:26 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

After the climbing, you can relax in the natural hot springs about 6 km north from the village. ask the locals for the route, it is quite easy to find. The water is 35 to 40 degrees and a wonderful experience, some refreshments can be bought in the house right on the side of the natural bath...

There is no electricity in the village (only couple of generators running few hours a day in the park rengers office). There is a basic hospital, some places to buy food, donkeys and 4x4 to rent and wonderful old adobe brick churches all over the park...

The best accomodations are the so called Cahutas - local adobe brick houses with roundish roofs. price of app. 15 to 20 Boliviano per person. No showers in the village. everything is centralised, proices are fixed and the park administration assignes accomodation to tourists.

The park rangers have two way radios... you can get the frequencies and keep in touch. possibilities to rent equipment in the village are very limited, bring yours or rent in la paz.

Also see parinacota page for more info.

Corax

Corax - Sep 12, 2006 10:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Could you please add

Could you please add the peak's coordinates on the page. Thanks, JC.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.