Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.62620°N / 90.8661°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1702 ft / 519 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Bell Mountain is the highest point of the Bell Mountain Wilderness in Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri. It is about 70 feet shorter than Taum Sauk Mountain to the southeast, the State's highpoint. It is possible to hike from Bell Mountain to Taum Sauk Mountain via part of the Ozark Trail passing over Goggins Mountain and through Johnson Shut-Ins State Park. This requires a multi-day backpack.

Getting There


Take Highway 21 south from Potosi through Caledonia. Turn west on Highway 32. Turn south on Highway A. The trailhead parking lot is on the right after a little more than 5 miles south on Highway A.

When traveling south on Highway 21 south of Caledonia look to the east. The southern most high point of the large ridge to your east is Buford Mountain at 1,740 feet. It is 32 feet shorter than the State's highpoint, Taum Sauk Mountain.

Camping


There are numerous spots suitable for backpack camping near the summit of Bell Mountain which is a ten mile round trip from the trailhead. Great star gazing from the summit area. Looking east from the summit is Lindsey Mountain at 1,662 feet. Bell Mountain and Lindsey Mountain are separated by Shut-In Creek. This is an interesting spring fed creek that requires about 600 feet of vertical bushwacking off-trail to reach. A small cave is also located along Shut-In Creek below Bell Mountain.

Red Tape


No permit required, although the Forest Service requests you sign in at the trailhead register.

When To Climb


Year round. Spring and Fall are best. Fall colors are amazing. A ten mile round trip to the summit makes this suitable for an overnight backpack. See the camping section.

Mountain Conditions


Check local weather at: local weather


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

OzarksMountains & Rocks