Bald Mountain and Artist Bluff (Franconia Notch)

Bald Mountain and Artist Bluff (Franconia Notch)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18300°N / 71.7038°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2340 ft / 713 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Classic Mt. Lafayette Views






Overview

Another classic summit where amazing if not legendary views can be seen with little hiking effort. Both the summit of Bald Mtn. and Artist Bluff incredible views of Franconia Notch and Mt. Lafayette. This set of trails are very popular with families who visit Franconia Notch State Park. Though some of the popularity of the autual park has dwindled since the fall of Old Man of the Mountain. These to classic viewing remain extremely popular with photographers, visitors and artists alike.

Both summits are very easy to get to. Bald Mtn. is only 0.4 mile from the trailhead and though the top has some Class 2 scrambling with exposure, this trail is still popular with families and tourist. Artist Bluff is even an easier Class 1 trail from the parking lot and receives usually double the amount of people Bald Mtn. does. It only requires a 1.5 mile loop hike to do both of the viewing areas, leaving plenty of time to do many of the other attractions in the area. This hike also go good as a second hike after doing the Franconia Ridge Traverse (If you still have any energy.

Getting There

VIA ROLAND PEABODY MEMORIAL SLOPE PARKING AREA: From I-93 (Franconia Notch Parkway) get off on Exit 35 toward the Cannon Mountain Ski Resort and head west on NH 18. Go up roughly a half mile where you see a large parking area on your right. There will be sign for both the Bald Mtn. trail and the Artist Bluff Trail.

Red Tape

No permit required yet for hiking Artist Bluff or Bald Mtn.

When To Climb

These two can be climbed at anytime. However in winter the scramble up Bald Mtn. is a whole lot more intense and caution is needed. Also there are plenty of good areas near Artist Bluff for some rockclimbing. If you plan on making it more of a technical climb, be sure bring the proper gear.

Camping

No camping is allowed on the summit. However Lafayette Campground is located in Franconia State Park. For more information call 603-745-8391 or go to the below websites.

Official Franconia Notch Homepage

Lafayette Campground




Mountain Conditions

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions


Summit Picture Log

Post your hero shot (summit mug shot) here.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.