Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.68750°N / 122.4356°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1314 ft / 401 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


San Bruno Mountain is a prominate feature just south of the city of San Francisco. The mountain effectivly acts as a barrier between the city and the San Francisco peninsula to the south and is most easily identified by the white rocks which spell "South San Francisco - The Industrial City" on the mountains south-facing side. The view from the summit is outstanding on a clear day - as the summit sometimes is shrouded in clouds Looking east one sees the entire bay and Mt. Diablo. The view north overlooks the entire city of San Francisco and Mt. Tamalpais. South one can see down the entire peninsula and the city of San Jose on a clear day. Looking west the vast expanse of the Pacific ocean awaits. On an exceptional day, all five bridges (Golden Gate, San Rafael, Bay, San Mateo, and Dumbarton) are visible.

Getting There


The trailhead is located within San Bruno Mountain State Park.

From CA- 101 to the Brisbane/Cow Palace exit. Drive 1.8 miles on Bayshore Boulevard. Turn left on Guadalupe Canyon Parkway and drive 2.3 miles up to the park entrance on your right. It's at the crest of the hill. Don't miss it, since if you pass it you won't be able to turn around for another mile and a half. Turn right into the park entrance, pay the $5 parking fee (bring exact change, don't park in the lot closest to the entrance), then keep right and go UNDERNEATH the Parkway to the far parking lot .




Red Tape


The park closes at 5:15 p.m. as posted. The entrance fee is $5 and the entrance station is not manned so bring exact change (and a pencil if you want to fill out your vehicle information). No dogs or horses are allowed on the trail.

When To Climb


Any time of year. Although bring warm clothes at all times and the wind on the summit can be strong and chilly.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
mtbaxter

mtbaxter - Sep 21, 2013 9:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Park Hours

The park closing time currently varies depending on the season and daylight hours. It is 5 PM in winter and up to 8 PM in summer. You can check it (and get a good trail map) at co.sanmateo.ca.us It opens always at 8 am. If you need an earlier ascent you can use the Old Ranch Road Trail (and avoid the parking fee) which will give you a 2 mile one way all trail approach.

mtbaxter

mtbaxter - Sep 21, 2013 10:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Most Prominent

San Bruno Mtn is not San Mateo County's high point, but it IS the most prominent peak in the county. It is ranked #53 of the 58 counties in prominence, as listed at Peakbagger on its california county prominence peak list

Viewing: 1-2 of 2