Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.34810°N / 11.07700°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Via Ferrata, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8733 ft / 2662 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hohe Munde viewed from the...Eastern slopes of Hohe Munde.

Hohe Munde marks the east end of the small Mieminger Kette. Since this mountain range is located between Wettersteingebirge to the north and the valley of the river Inn to the south, it offers quite nice views down into the valley about 2000m/6500ft below.

With its height of 2662m / 8733ft Hohe Munde is one of the higher mountains of Mieming Range. Especially from the south, Hohe Munde looks difficult to climb but this is not the case. The eastern slopes offer a quite easy ascent starting near the city of Leutasch.

Hohe Munde is one of the most frequently visited summits of Mieming Range and on sunny days in summer the summit gets quite crowded. The reason for this are the impressive views to the surrounding mountains of the Wettersteingebirge with Zugspitze or the Stubai Alps just accross the valley of the river Inn. You may even see Grossglockner if you' re lucky.

Those impressive views and an undifficult ascent make Hohe Munde very popular. The easiest route to the top is via the east side of the mountain. Because of the altitude difference the ascent is quite exhausting, but the views from the summit are worth every minute of the 3-5 hours ascent.

Summit views

Views from summit of Hohe Munde are superb!
Great views to Stubaier Alps, Wetterstein Gebirge and Karwendel. On sunny days even Grossglockner may be seen!
Hohe Munde summit panoramaSummit panorama from the east summit of Hohe Munde.

Maps and routes overview

Maps:
  • A good overview map of this area is KOMPASS #5 "Wettersteingebirge Zugspitzgebiet" (1:50 000).
  • A more detailed map is "4/2 Wetterstein- und Mieminger Gebirge, Mitte " (1:25 000) of the OEAV (Österreichischer Alpenverein / Austrian club of the alps) (Thanks to mcc).


    Routes:

  • East side
    Starting at the parkig lot of the "Munde Lift" (a chairlift up to Rauthhut) you have just to follow trail #8. After passing Rauthhut the trail gets steeper and sometimes you' ll shortly need your hands. After reaching the east summit follow the broad ridge to the main summit. Descent the same way.
  • West ridge (via feratta)
    Same trailhead as East side, but this time you have to follow one of the trails into Gaistal (valley of the river Gais). Follow on of these trails (#01, E4) to Tillfussalm (1382m / 4534ft). From there turn left (south) and follow trail #8a up to Niedere Munde (2059m / 6756ft). Turn left again (west) and follow the west ridge up to the main summit.

    Getting There

    Overview of the area of...Getting there
    By car:
    The mountain can be easily accessed by car from Innsbruck (Austria) or Garmisch Partenkirchen (Germany) via Seefeld and Leutasch.

    By plane:
    Munich (138km) / Innsbruck (21km) / Zürich (300km)

    By train:
    Reaching Leutasch by train without a car is not very easy, because the train stopps in Seefeld which is about 10km from Leutasch. There is a bus connection from Seefeld to Mittenwald (via Leutasch), but I don' t know when this bus starts...
    Informations about the trains to Seefeld from Innsbruck or Garmisch Partenkirchen can be found on this sites:

  • fahrplan.oebb.at - Austian trains (ÖBB)
  • reiseauskunft.bahn.de - German trains (DB)

    Red Tape

    There are no permits, fees or seasonal closures.
    Parking at "Mundelift" is free (even if you want to stay several days).

    Paying a few euros the chairlift "Munde Lift" will carry you to Rauthhütte directly.

    When To Climb

    Hohe Munde can be climbed all the year. Mainly it is climbed on sunny days in summer.
    In winter bouth routes to the summit are very dangerous because of avalanches.

    Camping / Huts

    I think camping is not allowed in this area, but there are several huts.

  • Rauthhütte. You can reach this hut within two hours from the parking lot of the chairlift "Mundelift".
  • The area of Seefeld / Leutasch is full of hotels. For more information visit the multilangual homepage of this area.

    Mountain Conditions

    Webcams

  • This webcam in Seefeld shows the east side of Hohe Munde.
  • Webcam at the Schneefernerhaus (Zugspitze) with view direction towards Hohe Munde (from north west).
  • Webcam in the Inntal looking north east towards Hohe Munde.



    Current weather conditions:


  • For more information about current mountain conditions you may write an email to the Rauthhütte (look for the link "Kontakt" and fill out the form).
  • Current forecast of "Leutasch" can be found at www.wetter.com.
  • If you' re planing to atempt Hohe Munde during winter, check the avalanche report of Tyrol. Unfortunately this page is in German only.

    External Links



    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Mieming RangeMountains & Rocks