Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.99700°N / 114.611°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5445 ft / 1660 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview




Mount Wilson is the highpoint of the Black Mountains. This area is also known as Wilson Ridge. Although Mount Wilson is located only 30 miles southeast of Las Vegas, there are no trails or campgrounds in the Black Mountains. Mount Wilson can be seen from the Las Vegas Strip, and towers over the nearby Hoover Dam. Mount Wilson is located in the Mount Wilson Wilderness Area. Surprisingly, Mount Wilson has several year-round springs that support a variety of wildlife. These springs provide an oasis of greenery in an otherwise harsh desert. With an elevation of 5,445', Mount Wilson ranks way down on the Arizona elevation list. But the new field of Prominence has made Mount Wilson a more important mountain. With a prominence of 3,205', Mount Wilson is big enough to make an appearance on the Arizona Prominence Map. It is also one of the LVMC Club's Classic 50 Peaks.

Getting There



From Las Vegas, drive south on US 93 across Hoover Dam. About 15 miles past the dam, turn left onto the paved Temple Bar Road. This road heads for Lake Mead. Drive 10.6 miles north on this road to an unmarked turnoff to a primitive road. The turnoff does have a small sign just off the road, but it's easy to miss. Turn left, and drive west towards the mountains. This road will require a high clearance vehicle. The road ends three miles later at the wilderness boundary at this approximate location. A Mount Wilson Wilderness sign is here.

Mountain Conditions

Mount Wilson is located on BLM land. Contact the Kingman Office at 928-692-4400 for the latest information.

Camping

Primitive camping is allowed in the area in accordance with BLM regulations. There are no maintained campgrounds near Mount Wilson, but the nearby Lake Mead NRA has many campgrounds.

Weather

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.