Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.45180°N / 106.1054°W
Additional Information County: Summit
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13195 ft / 4022 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peak 9 from the summit of...
Peak 9


Peak 9 is the second highest of the numbered mountains of the linear Tenmile Range, near Breckenridge, Colorado. Peak 9 is the first peak in the Tenmile to reach the 13,000 foot mark, and the rest of the range rises quickly through several high 13ers and the 14er Quandary Peak. The lower slopes of Peaks 7-10 comprise the popular Breckenridge ski area. The top of Peak 8 is the actual resort high point. The numbered peaks of the Tenmile are a very linear range of about 9 miles that create a wall of peaks only one mountain wide, towering above the towns of Breckenridge and Frisco.

Peak 9 is a fairly gentle peak, and it is easy to climb via a Class 2 hiking route. Peak 9's summit is also accessible from the summits of Peaks 8 and 10 via and easy ridge. The summit of Peak 9 is a great place to lounge and it has views of the Tenmile, Front, and Gore ranges. The best access is from the Breckenridge Ski Area, and this is a great ski tour and easy descent in winter and spring. Once Breck closes for the season, it's slopes become hiking and mountain biking routes. Peak 9 is a nice, easy hike in summer.


The Numbered Peaks of the Tenmile Range:
Peak 1 12,805 feet
Tenmile Peak 12,933 feet
Peak 3 12,676 feet
Peak 4 12,866 feet
Peak 5 12,855 feet
Peak 6 12,573 feet
Peak 7 12,655 feet
Peak 8 12,987 feet
Peak 9 13,195 feet
Peak 10 13,633 feet



Getting There

Breckenridge Ski Resort

Begin at the Breckenridge ski resort. Your starting point will differ based upon snow and whether Breck is still operating.

Drive to South Park Avenue on the south end of Breckenridge. Turn west and drive 0.2 miles and turn left on Village Road. Drive 0.2 miles on Village Road and turn left into a large parking lot near the Beaver Run complex. Turn left, cross the lot and turn right onto County Road (CR) 751 (dirt). This road leads to the top of the Peak 9 section of the ski area. After 0.5 miles keep left. There is a gated road on the right. Pass a lift and drive around to another intersection near 0.8 miles. Stay right on the main road and begin the climb into the ski area. Near 1.5 miles, stay right. Near 3.0 miles, go under a lift. Stay on the main road and pass the Peak 9 Restaurant. Continue up to the highest lifts near 3.6 miles. This is the trailhead. Past this point, the road is rough and 4WD is required.

In winter and spring while Breckenridge Ski Resort is still operating, you can take the Mercury Super Chair to the start of this route. Above the lift, start up the road. Backcountry access is not always open here, so call the ski patrol to check on the status before you plan a trip. Never duck closed backcountry gates. This violates the Colorado Skier Act, and will get you a hefty fine.

Routes

The TOPO below shows the routes available on Peak 9.
Click here for skiing options.

RED=East Ridge via Breckenridge
BLUE=South Ridge via Peak 10
GREEN=North Ridge via Peak 8

 

Red Tape

There are no fees for anything on this route. As always, obey private property postings. If you travel through Breckenridge Ski Area, obey their rules and directives.

Click here for the Breckenridge Ski Patrol.

When To Climb

Peak 9 can be climbed all year-round. Be aware of Avalanche danger in the winter and spring. Visit the Colorado Avalanche information Center's Website for current information.


Camping

There are no formal campsites in this area.

Peak 9 Weather

Click this link for a high altitude NOAA weather forecast for Peak 9.

Breckenridge Mountain Cams

Click here for the Breckenridge Ski Area Mountain Cams.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.