Monte Camicia

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.44037°N / 13.71729°E
Additional Information County: Italy
Additional Information Elevation: 8412 ft / 2564 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

With its 2564 m Monte Camicia is the fifth highest peak in the Gran Sasso-range and one of the Apennines big summits. Thanks to its north face this is probably Italy’s most spectacular mountain outside of the Alps. The north face is formed by a large wall which stands, in part almost vertically, 1200 metres (~ 4000 ft) above the ground. So it’s not a case that this mountain is also called “Eiger of the Apennines”. Consider that since it was first climbed by Bruno Marsili and Antonio Panza in 1934 only 12 more teams had the honour to win this superb wall. From the totally different south side the mountain appears to be a combination of elegant pyramid and extinct volcano. The two easy normal routes start from south. The “upper” normal route passes just a few steps away from the edge of the big wall. Unfortunately, at least at the common “belvedere”, you can only see part of it. Nevertheless it is a must to take a look down our “Eiger”. Monte Camicia is situated at the eastern end of the Gran Sasso-range, at about 30 kilometres from the Adriatic Sea. Sudden weather changes are no exception!
Camosci on Monte Camicia
Monte Camicia

Getting There

From Rome: take the Autostrada 24 –highway in direction of L’Aquila (east). Leave the highway at Assergi. Follow the evident indications for Campo Imperatore (in winter the street is closed!). When you reach the altiplano of Campo Imperatore there is a junction. Follow the indications for Castel del Monte (straight ahead). The other street turns left and leads to the Albergo/Hotel Campo Imperatore and the cable car-station. At the following junction turn left (forget the indications for Castel del Monte!). After a few minutes you reach a parking area in the vicinity of the Rifugio Fonte Vetica (1632 m), that’s the trailhead.

From Milan, Venice, Bologna: take the Autostrada 14 –highway (direction south). Leave it at the Teramo - Giulianova exit. Follow the indications for Teramo. Short before you reach Teramo take the Autostrada 24 –highway in direction of L’Aquila and Rome. Leave it at Assergi! Now see “from Rome”

Red Tape

Permits are not required. There are no fees. The street leading to the trailhead is closed in winter. So it depends on the snow conditions from where you'll have to start walking. Monte Camicia is within a protected area, the Parco Nazionale del Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga. Please visit the homepage for getting to know more about the local wildlife rules.
Camicia North

When To Climb

Monte Camicia can be climbed all year round. In the hot season the two normal routes offer easy and beautiful ascents. Who decides to climb this peak in winter has to face a pretty long approach, low temperatures and never ending masses of snow. In spring, when the mountain is easily accessible but still snow-covered, I recommend to descent the great “Vallone di Vradda”.

Camping

Wild camping is not permitted on this mountain. There is one temporarily guarded hut at the trailhead:

Rifugio Fonte Vetica (1632 m) 0862-938138 or 0861-995262

Mountain Conditions

Weather conditions: MeteoAeronautica or tempoitalia.it

Soccorso Alpino (rescue): 118 or 0861/245326

Parco Nazionale del Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga