Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.28200°N / 120.4404°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7704 ft / 2348 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Red Tape

There are no known public right of ways to the peak.  All surrounding land is private and landowners do not welcome visitors so please, respect their wishes.

When To Climb

Camping

Mountain Conditions

For current conditions and information call or stop by the:

Big Bend Visitor Center
Tahoe National Forest
49685 Hampshire Rocks Road (old Hwy 40)
(at the Big Bend or Rainbow Road exits off of I-80)
PO Box 830
Soda Springs CA 95631
530.426.3609 (voice only)
  • Beware that avalanches can be a distinct possibility after winter storms. Please check the Central Sierra Snow Advisory before leaving on any backcountry ski or snowshoe trip.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-9 of 9

alisa@tahoedreamteam.com - Mar 9, 2021 2:42 pm - Hasn't voted

ILLEGAL NO ACCESS

There is no legal access to Devil's Peak. Remove this post.

Scott

Scott - Mar 9, 2021 3:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ILLEGAL NO ACCESS

Looking at the land ownership/use maps, it appears that there may be a public access route to this peak, albeit a complicated one. Anyway, I'll pass on your info to the site owner/admins about deletion.

McCannster

McCannster - Mar 9, 2021 5:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: ILLEGAL NO ACCESS

Hi Scott, There definitely is legal access to the summit of Devils Peak (the summit itself is on National Forest land). The summit can be accessed from Cascade Lakes area, while staying entirely on public land. The route is circuitous , but it's fully legal.

gcircle - Jun 16, 2021 3:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ILLEGAL NO ACCESS

I just did some study of the checkerboarded ownership around devils and it makes sense that you would be able to step from the corner of one forest service parcel to another as you could from the SE corner of the devils parcel to the NW parcel of the section that is below the long lake area. But, sadly I am finding that this is called Corner hopping and does not seem to be allowed in CA. It is time for some changes to these laws that allow this kind of access blocking by land owners. A precedent for this exist in the coastal commission rules that opened up land locked beaches. I just climbed Snow peak entirely on public lands and it is an endeavor only for an expert at off trail travel. One excellent outcome for devils would be if this property could one day be bought by the land trust. It is a jewel.

alisa@tahoedreamteam.com - Mar 9, 2021 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

looking to get arrested?

There is no public access easements and there is no continuous stretch of public land from Cascade Lakes or anywhere. You can not trespass on private property to get to public lands. It is obvious on Gaia maps and OnX, and look at the black and white checks of an old USGS maps. Don't justify yourself. You are trespassing. And then you post it on the internet? Shame on you

dang3rtown

dang3rtown - May 10, 2022 9:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: looking to get arrested?

I am going to to take a poop on this peak just for you!

gcircle - Jun 16, 2021 3:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Here is a good article about the access issue.

https://escholarship.org/content/qt1kx576dv/qt1kx576dv_noSplash_fc668f8ed128cea513a924b6199a91bb.pdf?t=q23n5f

gcircle - Jun 22, 2021 7:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Devils peak private property

Spoke with the land owner by phone today they were kind to take my call. They are quite assertive about their private property rights. Barring a change of ownership or a change of heart this peak is off limits. Sad that a jewel like this is out of bounds but there are plenty of other options. If someone needs to finish their Ogul peak list maybe an alternative equivalent peak could satisfy your sense of achievement. It is not worth the grief to quarrel with the owner or try to make some moral argument about access to public land. The long game is probably to advocate for a public easement to be purchased. Certainly it should be a requirement for any further development on the site. This is very much like the issue of coastal access to beaches. That was a long struggle but ultimately access to beaches were gained.

sunbleached

sunbleached - Oct 21, 2023 6:31 am - Hasn't voted

Legal access

Summit is completely legal to access via responsible and conscientious corner-crossing from the southeast parcels. No landowners have to be worried about someone touching their private property. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying and misrepresenting themselves legally.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.