Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.36000°N / 107.173°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12448 ft / 3794 m
Sign the Climber's Log

overview


Bomber Mountain is located in the Cloud Peak Wilderness area about 22 miles West of Buffalo Wyoming and makes up part of the backbone of the Bighorn Mountains. It boarders the South side of Cloud Peak and it is possible to summit both mountains in a single day but this makes for a very long trek. The Bighorns are one of Wyoming’s best kept secrets and are often overlooked. Information about these majestic peaks is minimal when compared to other mountain ranges in Wyoming like the Tetons.

Bomber Mountain gets it name from an aviation accident that took place during WWII. In June 1943 a B-17 bomber in flight for England crashed into the mountain towards the summit. The entire crew perished and the wreckage was not discovered until after the war. Debris from the wreckage still remains.

If interested in additional information on the crash go to the following link. Bomber info



Getting There


There are many trails leading up to Bomber Mountain. However, starting from the Mistymoon trail via the Tensleep trailhead is the shortest route. To access the trailhead drive West on U.S. Highway 16 from Buffalo, Wyoming until you reach the Deer Haven Lodge. Turn North on Forest Road 27. Follow it for 1.2 miles until it forks. Stay to the right to continue down Forest Road 27. After a few more miles the road will fork again and again stay to the right. The West Tensleep trailhead will be at the end of the road.

Red Tape


Permits are mandatory when entering the wilderness area. Just fill out a permit and put it in the drop box at any of the trailheads. Filling out the permit acknowledges that you understand the wilderness rules.

Note:

Campfires, other than a self contained stove, are not allowed above 9,200 feet

When to Climb


Snow may occur any month of the year. However, the best time to climb the mountain if you are interested in a non-technical route is July through mid September. Anytime after that heavy snows may occur. Climbers should also be aware of afternoon thunderstorms in the summer.(Remember, this is a mountain so always be prepared for wild weather.)

Mountain Conditions


The following link takes you to a webcam that monitors conditions over the Cloud Peak Wilderness area which includes Bomber Mountain.

Conditions

External Links


  • This website takes you to a webcam that monitors conditions over the Cloud Peak area which includes Bomber Mountain.
  • Peakbagger-Bomber Mountain
    Facts about Bomber Mountain can also be found here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.