Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.21120°N / 74.5304°W
Additional Information County: Sussex
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1149 ft / 350 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pochuck Mt. is not as high as the other mountains of New Jersey but it is one of the most unique. The rocks that lay around and on top of the mountain are over a billion years old and they are the same types of rock that are found on Wawayanda Mountain. Both Pochuck and Wawayanda Mts. rise out of and form the borders of the Vernon Valley. The Vernon Valley was an important farming and mining area of New Jersey. Most of the land between the montains is low and flat. Wawayanda offers the best views of the valley and Pochuck's only view is to the west. Pochuck is not the mountain that you go to for views.
The Appalachain Trail runs right over the top so the montain is climbed reguraly during the summer.

History and Naming

What's In a Name?
The name Pochuck means in Putschek, "out-of-the-way Place."

In 1999 there was a plan that was apporved by the Vernon, NJ zoning board to place a 198 ft cell phone tower on Pochuck Mt. Local residents and hikers rasied hell and created a plan. For 24 hours they raised a weather ballon on the exact spot that the tower would be,to 198 ft to give all the people involved an idea of just how high the tower would really be and what it would do to the view of the area. The plan worked, everyone realized what a bad idea it was and the plan was scraped.

Getting There

From Interstate 80:
Exit at Exit 19 and take County Route 517 North. Stay on 517 North.
Follow 517 North through Andover, Sparta, Franklin, Hamburg, McAffee, and Glenwood when you are half way through Glenwood you will see a sign for a trail parking is 100 feet after that. Follow the Guard Rail to the Cross walk and there is the start of the hike.

Red Tape

Appalachian Trail Governing Regulations >
Carry out all trash.
Pets must be on a 6-foot leash at all times.
Horseback riding and bicycle riding are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail
All types of motorized vehicles are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail, except authorized emergency vehicles.
Cutting, defacing, or removing any natural feature is prohibited.
Self-contained stoves are permitted; ground fires are prohibited. Charcoal stove and grills are prohibited.
Camping is restricted to through-hikers who are hiking for two or more consecutive days.
Camping is limited to one night per campsite.
Camping is limited to ten persons per campsite.
Hikers MUST CAMP within 100 feet of the Appalachian Trail.
Hikers MAY NOT CAMP within 1/2-mile of an established roadway
Hikers MAY NOT CAMP within 200 feet of another camping party


When To Climb

Pochuck Mountain can be climed all year. Snow shoes will be needed when ther is snow on the ground, duh!

Camping

See Red Tape

Mountain Conditions

The Weather Channel weather info For Glenwood, New Jersey.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.