Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.75780°N / 120.9642°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6030 ft / 1838 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Special Thanks

Special Thanks to user D. Smith for putting up this excellent summit on Summitpost.

Overview


Jim Hill and Arrowhead


Arrowhead Mountain stands just east of Stevens pass, and is accessed easily from Highway 2. Arrowhead is a popular objective for backcountry skiers, snowboarders, and snowshoers alike, providing gladed slopes and over 3100 feet of vertical from top to bottom. On any given weekend in the winter, you're likely to find many a happy skier/rider on the mountains summit, taking in the views and ripping the skins before diving into waist-deep powder on the NW slopes.

Arrowhead's summit provides terrific 360 degree views of the Chiwaukum Range, as well as many of the North Cascades peaks including Sloan and Glacier Peak.

This peak was named by former Forest Supervisor A. H. Sylvester. The name referrs to an arrowhead-shaped rock slide area on the south slopes (source).

Arrowhead fr SSE

Looking up the N ridge of...

Getting There

Arrowhead Topo Map


Take U.S. Highway 2 East from the Seattle area towards Stevens Pass. Drive past the ski area approximately 6 miles to where the divided highway ends. Park in the pullout near the eastern portal Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Tunnel.

From the pullout, cross the highway and walk east along the highway for approximately 100 yards to a logging road. (Starting elevation: approximately 2900 feet.)

Ascend the logging road as it switchbacks through clearcuts until reaching a large clearing just west of the upper mountain. Skirt the top of the clearing, aiming for the "Arrowhead" rock outcrop on the W face. Routefinding from here is straightforward - just make your way up the gladed slope.

Hiking along the Train Tracks


More Links and Photos

Arrowhead trip photos from Turns-All-Year
Trip Report from January 2001

Red Tape

Arrowhead peak lies within the Wenatchee National Forest, but no permits are required. There is no fee for parking at the BNSF tunnel portal pullout.

When To Climb

This is best climbed during the winter Months (December-April, under favorable avalanche conditions.

Camping

Camping is allowed in the area. There are several nice spots higher on the mountain, above the clearcuts.

Mountain Conditions

Before heading out, be sure to check out the Avalanche Report.

Local weather conditions are also available at the Stevens Pass Ski Area Web site.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
gimpilator

gimpilator - Feb 16, 2009 10:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Information

Here is the route recorded by my GPS. It is a kml file and should be viewed in Google Earth.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.