Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.08220°N / 71.6136°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2834 ft / 864 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mount Hereford 864 metres is the highest point in East Hereford Quebec in the Eastern Townships. This is not saying much in terms of mountains but it does provide the finest views of the surrounding countryside, one that is prestine and devoted almost entirely to farming. Situated approximately 12 kilometers from the Canada/US border from the top you can see directly into Vermont and parts of New Hampshire. If you look close enough you can see the clear cut line which marks the divide. Getting to this mountain is the most challenging part of the trip as the road signs do not always match the maps provided.

The summit is very big and wide. Lots of exposed flat rock and brush. There is actually one picnic table embedded in cement right at the true summit. Looks very odd. The trail markers have seen better days and are very weather beaten in most cases. Could use an upgrade. Black flies are really bad here in June. Be prepared with bug repellent.

Getting There


From Montreal take the Eastern Townships Autoroute (10). Just past Magog take the exit for route 55 south. Exit at Ayers Cliff. Take the 141 towards Hatfield. Then pass through Coaticook. Stay on the same road. When you hit the junction for 252 north continue straight on what should be St. Jacques. I say should be as the map indicates it as such but there is no sign untill you hit another junction. Pass through the small town with the huge church, Saint-Herménégilde. Then you will see a sign indicating hiking trails (Sentier pédestre Neil-Tillotson Hiking trail). Turn right and continue 1 kilometre to the signed parking and the trail head. St-Denis Road. There are 12 kilometres of hiking trails. Donat Falls is on this route.
Approximately 1,200 ft. gain from the trail head

At the sign to turn right for hiking you can continue straight if you wish. At the next fork turn left on what should be Centennial drive but it is only marked Cul de sac (dead end). The dead end in on the summit of Mount Hereford. This is the rough fire road. A 4-wheel drive makes this a fun trip. A car must be more careful especially if it is wet. 7.5 kilometres

Red Tape


Hiking the 12 kilometres of the Sentier pédestre Neil-Tillotson Hiking trail is free. Closed during hunting season.

Regulations: Animals must be on a leash, bring back garbage, campfires are prohibited. Hiking is prohibited during hunting season due to the fact that most of the land belongs to a local Hunting Club. They do allow use of their land outside of hunting season which is great.

When To Climb


Open: Beginning of June to mid-September (Closed during hunting season). Winter climbs should be fun and I saw no indication that it would not be allowed providing of course it outside of hunting season.

Information
Tel:(819) 849-4443
Saint-Herménégilde

Tel:(819) 844-2463
East Hereford

Camping


There is no camping allowed in the area of the mountian. No huts No fees.

Mountain Conditions


There are no web cams.
One website:
Coaticook tourism