Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.93060°N / 115.6569°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9039 ft / 2755 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Nub Peak is a popular non-technical destination for hikers visiting the Lake Magog area of Assiniboine Provincial Park. With an elevation of just over 9000 feet, it offers eye-popping views of Assiniboine as well as Cerulean, Sunburst, and Magog Lakes. No special equipment beyond standard day-hiking gear is required in the Summer Months.

Getting There

Assiniboine Provincial Park is inaccessible by car, so the approach is 90% of the challenge. Below are three of the more popular routes into the Lake Magog area: Sunshine Meadows/Citadel Pass Trail: Distance: Approximately 19 miles Getting to the Trailhead: Drive or take taxi (~$35 CAD) W from Banff to the Sunshine Village Ski Area parking lot. Either hike the 4 miles up to the ski area (gondola does not operate in summer) or pay $20 CAD for a shuttle ride up to the ski area and the trailhead. The Hike: From the day lodge, follow the well-marked trail through Sunshine Meadows and over Citadel Pass. After the pass, the trail decends into the valley before passing through Golden Valley, Velley and the Rocks, and skirting Og Lake. Bryant Creek/Assiniboine Pass: Distance: Approximately 16 miles Getting to the Trailhead: From the town of Canmore, drive towards Spray Lake Reservoir in Kananaskis Country. Follow Spray lake road to intersection w/ Smith-Dorien Road. Drive up Smith-Dorien Road to the Mount Shark trailhead. The Hike: Hike, ski, or mountain bike the mostly flat road/jeep track to Trail Center (Mtn. Bikes prohibited beyond Trail Center) Continue to Marvel Lake, and over Assiniboine Pass. A more scenic but strenuous variant of this route follows the shore of Marvel Lake, and over Wonder Pass. By Helicopter: Flights leave Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday from the Mount Shark Helipad (just before Mount Shark Trailhead -- see above description for directions.) More Info Here From the Lake Magog area, the route to the summit of Nub Peak is very straightforward: follow well-signed trail to"The Nublet", a ridge SE of the true summit. From the Nublet, follow climbers route along the L side of narrow, rocky ridge to the upper slopes of Nub Peak. Ascend scree and/or snow slopes to the broad summit plateau.

Red Tape

No Park passes are required for hiking in Assiniboine Provincial Park, but passes are required for the ajacent Banff and Kootenay National Parks. Check with Parks Canada for current fees. Fees are required for camping or huts in Assiniboine Provincial Park. See Camping section below. Also visit the BC Parks site for detailed info and regulations for Assiniboine Park.

When To Climb

Summer or Winter (on skis/snowshoes.) Trail is mostly snow-free in early July. Upper slopes hold snow well into July.

Camping

Tent Camping: Designated campsites can be found on the W side of Lake Magog (approx. 2 km from Assiniboine Lodge) , Mitchell Meadows, or Og Lake. Backcountry Camping Fee is $5.00 per person / night. Naiset Huts: 5 cozy log cabins sleep up to 8 people each. Each hut has a wood stove for heating. Foam mattresses are provided. Nightly fee is $15.00 per person ($20.00 if reserved in advance.) Assiniboine Lodge handles all reservations and collection of fees for the Naiset Cabins. Mount Assiniboine Lodge: For those seeking a bit more civilized experience, Mount Assiniboine Lodge provides private/shared cabins or rooms for $200.00 or more (depending on room class) per person, per night. More info available here

Mountain Conditions

Trail Conditions: Parks Canada Web site Local Weather: Environment Canada Web site