Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.14100°N / 118.565°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12237 ft / 3730 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Situated strikingly at the head of beautiful South Lake, Hurd Peak is the first mountain eyes are likely drawn to when they arrive in the area. Considering Hurd’s short approach (maybe 2 miles), its minimal gain (about 2400 feet), and its impressive north face, it’s shocking that the peak doesn’t see more traffic (no one signed the register for 3 weeks prior to my visit). Surrounded by higher and more impressive peaks, Hurd is a fine, if little, peak in its own right.

Common routes on Hurd include the class 3 west face from Treasure Lakes, the north couloir, and the class 2-3 east face (Secor credits our very own 1000Pks with the first ascent of one of the chutes on the east face).

Summit views include all of the lakes of the Bishop Creek drainage, as well as Cloudripper, Picture Puzzle, Mt. Agassiz, Mt. Goode, and Hurd’s neighbor, the diminutive Chocolate Peak.

Hurd Peak s impressive North...
west ridge

Getting There

From highway 395 in Bishop, California, head west on West Line Street (highway 168) for 14 miles (or so) to the signed turn-off to South Lake. Turn left onto this road and follow it a few more miles to the obvious parking areas, boat ramp, and throngs at the lake. The trailhead is apparent.

Red Tape

Wilderness permits are required for all overnight stays in the area. Permits are not required for dayhikes.

Bear cans are required for overnighters.

Wood fires are not allowed.

Contact any of the ranger stations for more info.


When To Climb

Spring thru Fall is best. Winter climbs are certainly doable, though expect access to be considerably more difficult due to road closures.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed in the Bishop Creek drainage. To do so requires a number of things, such as obtaining a permit, camping off of soils, vegetation, etc, and camping away from trails and water sources. Again, contact the ranger stations at the numbers linked above for specifics.


Mountain Conditions

Here’s a weather link for Bishop.


External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.